I have two computers and one of them has 1password newest version, and the other had an old version.

Options
john_tilton
john_tilton
Community Member

Which I then deleted and started over. I have the latest version of 1Password installed on the new one, but with an empty vault.

I would like to put the vault from the good one on the new one, however, I have already made a mistake or two. I have moved the vault from the good one onto the desktop of the good one, thinking that I would then copy it to a USB key, and then move it to the one which has an empty vault. I would like to put it back, but don't know how to do so. And then I would like to have the vault of the new empty one contain the information of the good one. Thank you

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: ? Not sure.
Referrer: kb:sync-options, ug:mac/sync-wi-fi, kb-search:sync passwords from one mac to another, kb:sync-options, kb:move-vault

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @john_tilton,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with 1Password, and I’d be happy to help you get it sorted out. However, I’ll need a bit more detail here before we get to the fix instructions (just to make sure I know where we’re at.)

If I understand correctly, the current situation is this:

1. the ‘good’ computer with the latest version of 1Password and a good copy of your data.
    2. the ‘new’ computer which now also has the latest version of 1Password set up with an empty vault.

If that’s so, I have a few follow-up questions:

• When you set up the new computer, did you use the same Master Password as you used for your original vault?
    • How did you move the vault from one computer to the other? You mention a USB key, but which file did you grab? Was it an 1Password.agilekeychain or a 1Password.opvault or the .sqlite file from inside /Application Support?
    • Are you currently syncing your 1Password data using Dropbox or iCloud?
  • john_tilton
    john_tilton
    Community Member
    Options

The new computer has the same Master Password as the old computer.

When I got the new computer, all the information from the old one was set up on it.

I don't use iCloud, so over time, the two computers have become different. The new one had 1Password 4 on it, and there was a little 1 with a circle around it near the icon in the menu bar, and 1Password finally stopped working. I finally could not log in to the new computer because the Master Password stopped working, so I tried to follow some instructions on your site, but I got lost, and finally decided that the best thing to do was to delete the old version, download the new version, and start anew. And then I thought that I might be able to copy the old vault into the new computer, and everything would work perfectly.

I moved the Primary Vault on the old computer to a folder on the desktop, thinking that I was just copying it. When I saw the mistake of that, I stopped and wrote you. So I did not put it on a USB key and stick it in the new computer, because it seemed like I don't want to have my Primary Vault on the Desktop, and I've probably made more mistakes than I should have, and best to not make any more.

I don't sync data on iCloud.

The file in the folder on the desktop of the old computer is 1Password.opvault.

Thank you for your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @john_tilton,

Thanks for the additional information! The 1Password.opvault file you moved to the Desktop of your old Mac is actually just a sync file - in other words, it contains a copy of the data from your Primary vault, but that file is only used for syncing purposes (it is created by enabling Dropbox Sync or Folder Sync in the 1Password app). The data you see when you open the 1Password app is stored in a different location on your Mac. For now, you can leave the 1Password.opvault file on the Desktop (you'll be able to delete it later, once everything is working correctly on both Macs).

Before we get to the steps you'll need to follow, I'd like to ask you just a few more questions, to make sure I understand how things are currently working and how you'd like them to work:

• On your old Mac, are you still able to open and unlock 1Password? If so, do you see all your latest data there?
    • On your new Mac, are you able to open and unlock 1Password? If so, does that show you an empty vault?
    • Do you want to sync your 1Password data back and forth between both Macs, so changes you make on one Mac will show up on the other? Or do you just want to do a one-time copy of the data from one Mac to the other?

Your answers to those questions will help us figure out the exact steps you'll need to follow. Thanks in advance!

• john_tilton
    john_tilton
    Community Member
    Options

Thank You.

Yes to the first two questions. I can open both 1Passwords, and the old one has data, and the new one doesn't.

I'm not a particularly mobile person so the benefits of iCloud are not important to me. I have a home, and a pottery shop where I work, with a short walk in between. So I would like to just do a one time copy.

Thank you again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @john_tilton!

If you don't need to sync changes between your two Macs and just want to do a one-time copy, I think the best way will be to copy a backup file from the old Mac and use it to restore your data to 1Password on the new Mac. You can do that by following these steps:

• On your old Mac, open the 1Password app and go to File > Backup.
    • Click the Show Files button.
    • In the window that opens, find the most recent backup file and copy that to your USB key (you can copy it to the Desktop first, if it helps).
    • On your new Mac, copy the backup file from the USB key to the Desktop.
    • Open the 1Password app on the new Mac and go to File > Restore.
    • Click the Find Backup button.
    • Choose your backup file from the Desktop and click the Add Backup button.
    • In the Backup preferences, select the backup file you just added and click Restore.

Now when you unlock 1Password on the new Mac, you should see all of your data there. Assuming it all works as expected, you can delete the backup file from the Desktop on your Mac(s). You can also delete the 1Password.opvault file from the Desktop of the old Mac, as you won't be needing that.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Thanks!

• john_tilton
    john_tilton
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! It seems to work perfectly.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Woohoo! That is great news, @john_tilton. That's always what we like to hear. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

This discussion has been closed.