1Password requiring master password with Touch ID turned on

Options

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dszp

If you think it's the same as that issue, go ahead and tap the settings from After Restart to Never then back to After Restart. That'll force the settings to be reset to the proper settings, if they're incorrect.

@bmkaiser You might also want to try the above steps just to see if that might help you.

• rswongtx
    rswongtx
    Community Member
    Options

Just upgraded to 6.4 1Password for IOS. Touch ID worked for sign on to app before upgrade. After upgrade program requires that master password be typed in each time. Checked the settings and Touch ID option has been selected in the Security section. After the one minute setting for sign off, 1Password would present the option to use Touch ID to reopen the session. It does NOT present the Touch ID option when I try to open 1Password when I want to open another session

1Password Version: 6.4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 9.3.1
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: kb-search:apple ios touch id, kb:touch-id-faq

• cmonkey
    cmonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, Touch ID feature is completely gone now. Boooo

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For those of you who are having difficulty (@cmonkey and @rswongtx ) still can you please send in a diagnostics report with a brief description of the problem and a link to this discussion?

I'd love to take a closer look with some logs so I can see what the app is doing. Please duplicate the problem then generate the report and send it in:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• bmkaiser
    bmkaiser
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, @AGKyle. I tried changing the Master Password requirement to Never and then back, but it still didn't resolve the issue. Even with it set to Never, it actually still prompts for my Master Password.

I followed your advice and emailed support+forums. My support ID is [#SVU-17625-421].

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same thing. It requires master password on every lock. This is entirely worse than after reboots. How is this better?!

• Ben
    Options

@Xipper,

That isn't the intended behavior. Please see above.

Ben

• boboman13
    boboman13
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni was frustrated and found this. thanks.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@boboman13

Sorry you were impacted by this. Glad to see you're back up and running though!

• gfeiner
    gfeiner
    Community Member
    Options

I spoke too soon. The problem came back again. My phone wasn't restarted and after about 24hrs after having require master password set to after device restart, it prompted me for my master password once on launch of 1p. Tried to immediately reproduce by closing 1p and relaunching but it didnt happen again. Appears to be random

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I set mine to "Never" and have not had a repeat. My wife who had "Never" set by default didn't experience the issue at all.

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff when I first posted I couldn't actually see any of the replies, they didn't show up on iOS at all. I could only see the initial post in both Safari and Chrome, after posting I realized something was broken and found that your mobile view is broken...I could only see responses by requesting the desktop version of the site.

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member
    Options

FTR, mine is now fixed. I don't know what fixed it ultimately. I also find it annoying that the settings for this are under Settings --> Advanced --> Security. Who picked that placement? Why wouldn't it be under Settings --> Security --> Advanced? Why would you bifurcate the security settings across 2 very different places to manage them?

It seems there must be a bug for upgrades where some setting doesn't get preserved. I tried disabling touch-ID, rebooting, re-enabling. Changing the advanced --> security settings to never, after reboot, etc. I gave up, installed the iOS beta3 that was available and eventually 1Password was working correctly. During the entire time it wasn't working it was as if 1Password was running on a device that wasn't touchID enabled. Is there something that is stored in the primary vault for this to work that would conflict with non-touchID devices (e.g my iPad)?

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member
    Options

After the 6.4 update, the following will sometimes appear when opening 1Password on my iPhone 6s running iOS 9.3.1.

I'm able to tap on the fingerprint icon and use Touch ID to unlock the vault. Afterward, I'm able to just use Touch ID to unlock the vault for a while. Then it will appear with the master password field and fingerprint icon again. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it.

1Password Version: 6.4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 9.3.1
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DavidLevine,

Thanks for writing in about this! In previous released, 1Password for iOS would require you to enter your master password after rebooting the device. But starting in version 6.4, it will allow you to still use Touch ID after a reboot, and you'll see that screen (from your screenshot) when that happens. So if you're seeing that screen after rebooting your iPhone, that's normal.

If you sometimes see that screen without having rebooted, is it possible you're accidentally tapping the 'Cancel' button when you see the usual Touch ID prompt? That will also result in seeing the master password field with the Touch ID button underneath.

Do either of those situations help to explain what you're seeing? If not, please let us know and I'm sure we can figure it out one way or another. Thanks! :)

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I can confirm I am not rebooting the device or pressing cancel when seeing the normal Touch ID prompt. The times I see the Touch ID prompt right away after opening 1Password, I rest my finger on the iPhone's home button and it unlocks my vault.

The following are my settings in 1Password in case it helps troubleshoot the issue:

• Security > Lock on Exit: Enabled
    • Security > Auto-Lock: 10 Minutes
    • Security > Touch ID: Enabled
    • Advanced > Security > Require Master Password: Never

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but this also occurs when using the 1Password extension. I tried force-quitting the app to see if it would have this behavior when the iPhone would purge it from memory, but this was not the case. Unless force-quitting and how the iPhone handles apps in memory are different. It seems to occur after not using 1Password for a couple of hours. It does occur multiple times within a day.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pappjo, I'm glad to hear it's working correctly for both you and your wife now! :)

@gfeiner, when you're prompted to enter your master password, do you see a fingerprint button below the master password field? And if so, does tapping that button cause the Touch ID prompt to appear?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I have this issue too. I even uninstalled 1Password on my iPhone ans I still have this issue. I checked the settings, I have Touch ID on, set to only ask for my master password after a restart, and it will ask for my master password.

• gfeiner
    gfeiner
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG, No it did not show a fingerprint button. My settings are: Security->lock on exit: on, auto-lock:1min, touch ID: on. Advanced->security->require master password: after device restart.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

I spoke a bit soon too.

I had set my "require master password " to after device is restarted. This morning though, it asked for my master password even though I didn't restart my device.

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member
    Options

Happened again this morning when logging into a website using the 1Password extension.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

After changing the advanced security setting (I agree it's in a somewhat obtuse menu location) to Never then back to After Restart my phone has been fine and working correctly so far.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

So I set mine to never ask for the master password (which I do not like) and it hasn't asked for it since. My iPad was set to ask for master password after a restart and it asked for my master password at least twice so far today. I just switched my iPad to never ask for it, I'll see how it goes. I prefer to have my 1Password to ask for my master password after a restart, but looks like I can't. My wife is having the same issues with her iPhone and iPad as well.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I've merged a few threads on this subject, so my apologies if the conversation feels disjointed in places.

If you are seeing a prompt like the DavidLevine posted:

Tapping on the fingerprint icon will bring up the Touch ID authentication prompt.

After changing the advanced security setting (I agree it's in a somewhat obtuse menu location) to Never then back to After Restart my phone has been fine and working correctly so far.

Thanks for the update @dszp!

So I set mine to never ask for the master password (which I do not like) and it hasn't asked for it since. My iPad was set to ask for master password after a restart and it asked for my master password at least twice so far today. I just switched my iPad to never ask for it, I'll see how it goes. I prefer to have my 1Password to ask for my master password after a restart, but looks like I can't. My wife is having the same issues with her iPhone and iPad as well.

@prime could you please try the steps dszp listed above that seem to be working for him?

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff I have it set up like this for now, but I want 1password to ask me for my master password when my phone restarts. This is just a work around for now, but I don't like it. For me, it's extra security when 1Password needs the master password when the phone is restarted.

• Ben
    Options

@prime I understand. What happens when you set the preference to something else (e.x. "1 Hour") and then set it back to "After Device Restart"?

Ben

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just wanted to update you all here:

Users getting the Master Password with Touch ID button

This should only happen after you restart your device, when Require Master Password is Never (or you tap Cancel on the Touch ID dialog).

We've heard from several of you that you're seeing this when you haven't restarted your device.

We've located the cause of this I believe and we're working towards fixing it. This does require an update to the app to fix so there is no work around at this time.

Users being asked for the Master Password when you feel you shouldn't be

I can currently hunting this one down, it's looking like a complicated one but odds are this will also require an update and probably no chance of a work around either.

I hope this gives you some idea of where we stand right now. For those impacted by this, I am very sorry for the trouble. We're doing everything we can to try to get the larger issues fixed for a minor update soon and I hope we'll get all of these in there for you.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent diagnostic report [#LFU-92486-449] just after answering a call and being prompted for my master password while on the call. I've used TouchID to unlock several times today and my phone has not restarted since and is set to only ask for password upon restart. This is the second or third time it's done that (once or less per day usually) and the first time while on the phone, and the other times I wasn't as sure of the parameters.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dszp

Since I'm looking into this today I'm going to look at your ticket and diagnostics report soon and will probably have some questions and perhaps a request or two from you :) Be on the lookout for a response soon.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@bwoodruff I did try that over the weekend. I even deleted the app, reinstalled it, and still the same issue.

This discussion has been closed.