I'm trying to set up OTP with Dropbox (it used to work), and now it's not working

thing
thing
Community Member

I've followed the steps (actually it was working fine since it was released and then just stopped working), and it keeps telling me the code is not valid. Have deleted the OTP and recreating it with the same results.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 621001
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5 (beta)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, ug:mac/totp, kb-search:one time password dropbox, kb:one-time-passwords

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thing,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I see you came here from How to use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-step verification. Have you tried generating a new QR code? In the first step, "Get the QR code from the website", there is a part that says, "If [two-step verification is] already enabled, click Edit next to 'Authenticator app'."

That should generate a new QR code which may work.

Let me know if that does the trick.

• thing
    thing
    Community Member

I did that several times actually - no go.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thing,

Just to make sure we understand - when you generate the new QR code, is the problem that you aren't able to scan it with the QR Code Scanner window from 1Password? Or does that work, but you get an error when you copy and paste the 6-digit code from 1Password into the Dropbox website when prompted during the sign-in?

If scanning the QR code is no problem but the code isn't accepted by Dropbox when signing in, can you please confirm you've saved the changes to that Login item? If you have unsaved changes, the Login item will show 'Resume Editing' instead of the 'Edit' button in the main 1Password app.

If that's not the problem, can you please verify that the clock on your Mac is showing the correct time? If for some reason it isn't, that might cause a problem with the TOTP.

Thanks! :)

• thing
    thing
    Community Member

I can scan the code just fine - the problem is with the 6-digit code - Dropbox keeps telling me that it's not valid. There are no unsaved changes as I can't get a 6 digit code unless I save the entry. The clock on the Mac is accurate. This is very strange. I have 2 Macs and it's not working on either.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@thing,

Very strange indeed. If the QR code is scanning properly, the most common problem with Time-based One-Time Passwords is the system time, since they are, after all, time-based. So it would have been nice if that was the problem. A very tidy solution.

As it stands, I wonder if you have trouble with any other TOTP codes on those Macs. Have you tried setting up two-step verification with Slack, Tumblr, Evernote, or some other account you have that offers the option? Do you only have the problem with Dropbox?

This discussion has been closed.