1P for families: is passwords sharing as simple drag & drop?

ducatistii
ducatistii
Community Member

How simple is it to share passwords w/ family members when using 1passord for families? Say I want to share 10 passwords with 4 family members. Can I simply drag those 10 passwords from my personal vault over accounts/vaults for individual family members? Or do I need to create 4 vaults (one for each family member) then for each vault create those 10 passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1P for families: is passwords sharing as simple as drag & drop?

Comments

• mdmangus
    mdmangus
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

You create a Vault. Place the 10 logins or whatever items you want to share in the vault. Add the members to the vault. Those users will see those items on their computer or devices. You can also make the user read only if you don't want them change items in the vault.

You create and manage sharing Vaults through the web portal.

You can create or delete items in the vault through the web portal. Though you can't move items easily yet through the web portal to different vaults.

You can move or copy items to different vaults easily through the Mac. I don't remember if Windows 10 easily allows you to do same. Someone else will have to confirm that.

• Hey @ducatistii,

That's a good question. It depends on who you want to share the item with. In 1Password Families, your family has a Shared vault, which is available to everyone automatically. You could put a password in that vault to share it with your family. If you want something more restricted, for sharing with one or two other family members, you can use a custom vault. To create one, sign in to your account at 1Password.com, click the family menu, and click Admin Console. You can manage vaults in the properly-named Vaults tab. :) Be sure to add people to the vault you create so they can access it as well.

If you already have an item in another vault that you just want to move to a shared vault, you can do this in one of the apps. Depending on the platform you're using, the process is a bit different. I'd recommend giving the second section in Migrate to a Family or Team account a read for details on moving items from one vault to another for each platform. Let us know if that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.