Master password needed after Lock Now

Options
danco
danco
Volunteer Moderator

I have been checking how Touch ID behaves in 1PW 6.4. It seems to be doing what it should as regards atuo-lock.

But if I decide to use the Lock Now option, I get prompted for the master password next time, there isn't a Touch ID option available.

Is this a bug or is it intended? I can see why it might be intended behaviour, but if so it is very unexpected for the user.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi danco,

That is indeed how this feature has always functioned, and that is intended. It is one way in which folks concerned about going through a security checkpoint can ensure that 1Password is locked to the Master Password. :)

Ben

• djp15
    djp15
    Community Member
    Options

So if 1Password 6.4 is not used for more than 10 mins, you are saying its normal that Touch ID does not work ?? Its a step backwards - for me using Touch ID all the time has been a major time saver - please fix.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @djp15,

That isn't what I'm saying at all. :) We're talking about what happens when you tap on the "Lock Now" button in 1Password > Settings > Security.

If Touch ID is not working properly for you I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• djp15
    djp15
    Community Member
    Options

support ID is [#PCM-78865-713] Email with diagnostics sent as requested

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @djp15! We received your Diagnostics Reports, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: YND-39431-859

• marczeffren
    marczeffren
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I am having the same issue.

If you look at the small text Touch ID and Master Password are both required after 10 minutes of no use now. So if I leave the app for 11 minutes I need to input the Master Password when all I want to do is use Touch ID. It should only require the Master Password if Touch ID authentication fails.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Thanks Ben for your answer. I guessed as much, and I don't usually Lock Now, I just happened to be using it a few times while I was adjusting settings. And I evidently have some trouble in entering my password correctly, as I often had to try more than once before getting in. (Not a 1PW issue, I feel sure, but a problem with my fingers on the iPad keyboard.)

@marczeffren there's definitely something wrong with what's happening on your machine. I suggest you follow the advice given to another poster in the thread, and provide AgileBits with a diagnostic report. It should not be asking for the master password after 10 minutes. Do you know if it is actually asked for, or if this is just an inaccurate message?

• marczeffren
    marczeffren
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@danco this is an accurate message. I was just asked for the password again. I sent the diagnostic report. The support ID is [#WQA-77746-115]

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @marczeffren!

Ben

ref: WQA-77746-115

• Rob65
    Rob65
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this same issue. Changes the whole flow of the software... I think it's a bug since last update as it worked fine. I only want to be prompted for the MPWD if my Touch ID fails. Very annoying to be prompted every time now .... Is there a fix on the way????

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rob65 just to clarify, are you being asked for your Master Password every time you enter the app, or after you hit the Lock Now button?

• Aaron Gibralter
    Aaron Gibralter
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem on my iPhone. It says "Your Master Password will be required after 1 hour or after device restart or if a Touch ID authentication fails." I have the latest version of the app and iOS... This wasn't the case a couple weeks ago... On my iPad it doesn't have the 1 hour cutoff...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Aaron Gibraltar: It sounds like you just need to adjust your settings. In 1Password, go to Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password. You can change this from 1 hour to another of the many options listed, depending on your preference. I hope this helps! :)

• Aaron Gibralter
    Aaron Gibralter
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Oh whoa! Sorry, I don't know how I missed that! Sorry for the trouble!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No trouble! Glad that helped. I suspect you missed it because that setting is a few levels deep there. ;)

This discussion has been closed.