I am unable to sync between my mac desktop and iPhone. No Sync button in settings on iPhone.

csgordon
csgordon
Community Member

I have installed 1Password on my Mac and the 1Password App on my iPhone. I am unable to sync my vault data. On my iPhone, under Settings, ****there is no Sync button****. Very strange, but I simply can't find it. Thus I can't initiate a sync process. App is version 6.4.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: WI-FI server
Referrer: forum-search:Can't find Sync button in Settings on my iPhone; thus no sync possible with mac

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @csgordon,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I wonder if there is simply some confusion about where the option is located. Have you followed the exact steps for Wi-Fi Sync in the 1Password for iOS User Guide?

Before we go too far, I do want to mention Dropbox syncing. I would say that — generally speaking — Dropbox is a better option for most folks. Wi-Fi Sync must be done with the two devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This means that you need to remember to sync them before you go on an adventure that separates them. Dropbox syncing is fully automatic and securely syncs your 1Password data anywhere you have Internet access. There's nothing to remember (or forget!), and I definitely consider that a win. :)

That said, if you still want to use Wi-Fi Sync, I am happy to try to get it working for you. Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing on your iPhone and attach it to your reply? A picture is worth a thousand words, after all. ;)

• csgordon
    csgordon
    Community Member

I thought that with a Family subscription, the sync of data between my Mac and all my mobile devices would be automatic. How do I set this up?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @csgordon,

I'm sorry for the confusion. If you have a Families account then you're right, the syncing is done automatically. That's exactly whey the button doesn't appear at all. First of all, I'd like to ask you to please check that both your account is set up correctly in both of your devices.

On your iPhone, in 1Password, please go to Settings at the bottom of the screen and tap on 1Password Accounts, it should be the first item on the list. You should be able to see the name of your account and the email address that you used to create it under "Your Accounts" in this page. Is the information there correct?

Then, can you please go to 1Password in your Mac, go to Preferences there, then Teams and see that the information over there coincides with your phone?

If everything is OK with your accounts, then I'd like to ask you to do some testing to see what's going on. Can you please create a new Login on your Mac and see if it appears on your iPhone? Make sure it is on the Personal or Shared Vault, NOT in Primary. The data stored in primary is not part of the Family account and won't be synced automatically. This will help us figure out what might be going wrong! :chuffed:

• csgordon
    csgordon
    Community Member

Thanks, the sync worked ok. I have another couple of questions. If the data stored in the Primary vault is not part of the Family account and just stays local on my mac, what do people typically use it for? Also, if a website requires three data items for login, how do you set that up? For example, the American Airlines Advantage program requires a user ID, your last name, and a password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @csgordon,

I’m glad we’re making some progress here! I’d be happy to answer your new questions.

If the data stored in the Primary vault is not part of the Family account and just stays local on my mac, what do people typically use it for?

The primary vault does not have to stay locally on your Mac. You could sync it using Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi sync. (This was the way all vaults worked before we introduced the 1Password Teams and 1Password Families subscription options.) If you’re using 1Password Families, there’s no need to store anything in the primary vault (and a future update of 1Password for Mac will make it simple to remove that vault if you would like.)

However, some people do still find it useful to keep a vault outside of 1Password Families. One suggestion I’ve heard from users is to store the Master Password and Account Key information for your 1Password account. But how you organize your data in 1Password is entirely up to you. :)

Also, if a website requires three data items for login, how do you set that up? For example, the American Airlines Advantage program requires a user ID, your last name, and a password.

The best solution for these unique sites is to Save a New Login Manually. These steps will teach 1Password which fields that it needs to fill, and usually work for more complicated sign in screens.

This discussion has been closed.