Feature request: one-off secure share

Lance Lawton
Lance Lawton
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I'm hoping this is possible as a kind of add-on function or something ... Doesn't seem to me to be a feature at this point.

I don't really want, nor do I think I need, the Family or Team thingys. But I do want to be able to occasionally share a password or other sensitive data with one other person. I know there's the basic strategies like send the username in an email and then the password in a text, etc. But that doesn't always feel safe or wise. What I guess I'd like is say a one-off secure link (maybe using Dropbox??) that would expire after an hour or something such. I gather some of the other password apps and services out there (e.g. LastPass) provide something like that.

Any possibilities?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @Lance Lawton

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feature request.

Being able to send an item securely is definitely a useful feature. I like your idea of an expiring link, but it would also have to be combined with encryption to make it secure. There are a couple of hurdles to providing that feature, especially when the data is not hosted by the company providing the feature. Since AgileBits does not control Dropbox, it'd make it difficult to provide a reliable auto-expiring link as Dropbox does not have that functionality build in. In addition to that, to transmit the item securely, it would have to be encrypted, and that means the the sender and recipient need a way to communicate encryption information in order to be able to decrypt it. It's not impossible, but it is a challenge to do it easily and elegantly.

When the company providing the feature also provides the server, it's a little more feasible - they can manage the hosting of the item, and provide a secure facility to transfer the appropriate encryption information. This is why you've noticed a few other password managers provide that feature - they provide the feature as well as the server hosting the item.

So this is not to say you'll never see such a feature. Just that some challenges must be solved before we could consider offering it.

Thanks again for your request. We will certainly consider it when planning new features.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member

Hi Kevin,

Appreciate the thoughtful response. Can't ask much more. I think I can find other ways in the meantime; but shall continue to hope and watch :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! If you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.