I'm still having problems with 1Password when I startup in mac OS X. My system not finding

br1896
br1896
Community Member

I'm using Mac OS X. My system seems to have a lot of difficulty connecting to 1Password mini. I've tried your fixes and sometimes it loads correctly for example yesterday then pitfalls today. I have an external disk that I have setup using Carbon Copy Cloner. When I started up this morning the message said there was a failure to connect to 1Password on the Carbon Copy Cloner disk but two days ago I specifically reset the Settings for startup to the 1Password app in my Applications folder. This is not the first time this has happened to me and it is starting to get annoying. Any suggestions? Is what is happening to me new?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:startup in macosx can't find the application 1Password, kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• Hi br1896,

As you know, 1Password is two applications in one: 1Password and 1Password mini. 1Password mini as automatically launched when you launch 1Password, and sits in your menu bar.

In Apple parlance, 1Password mini as called a 'helper' application. Programs are given a mechanism to launch helper applications by specifying a helper's 'bundle id'. Once the bundle id is provided, Mac OS X takes care of launching the helper when it is needed.

The problem is, if you have multiple copies of 1Password on your computer (on a Carbon Copy Cloner disk for example), you have two copies of the 1Password mini helper with the same bundle id. Mac OS X has a bug where it sometimes launches a helper that is not in the same application bundle as the running application that requested it.

Setting the correct 1Password.app to launch at startup will not help. Mac OS will still sometimes launch the wrong 1Password mini.

For this reason, we recommend keeping only one copy of 1Password on your computer. You can do this by unmounting the CCC disk when it is not needed, or by zipping the 1Password.app contained therein.

I hope that helps explain the problem a little better.

This discussion has been closed.