1PTeams + Multiple Users & Multiple Work Stations

Options
magown
magown
Community Member

I have been a long time 1password user with all my personal data. At my business we use lastpass. I would prefer to use 1password as the UI is 10X better but I'm not sure if it will work the way we use lastpass.

We have 3 Windows Work Stations up front, 3 Windows Work Stations in the back, my Mac, & 3 or 4 Windows laptops that come into play occasionally.

Any employee can do any of their work from any computer in the building. While everyone has "their" machine, we constantly switch hit and 1 of the sales terminals has no assigned user, so it's only used by who ever walks up to it.

Lastpass is installed on all machines and we can jump from one computer to the next and bring our logins with us.

Can I duplicate this functionality with 1password for Teams? Is there a way to sync everyone's vault to every machine & if so can the users sign in and out of different vaults from connected device? Unless there's hidden menu's in 1Password Desktop I can't imagine this functionality existing.

If there is a work around I would like to know as I would prefer to not use lastpass.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

hey @magown! Thanks for the interest in 1Password. :) I have a few ideas on how 1Password Teams could fit in with your setup, so let's take a crack at them.

The first way of doing things would be to simply sign in to each user's 1Password account each time they hop on the computer. They could head to 1Password.com and sign in to their account on your team to access their passwords. The downside of this is they would need to type their email, Account Key, and Master Password each time. The browser remembers it by default, but you'd need to disable this so multiple people can use the same browser.

Another method would be to use browser profiles in Google Chrome. Creating a new one is fairly straightforward, and they can tie things to a Google account so they have to sign in to each profile. This would allow them to sign in to 1Password.com without entering the Account Key each time, since it would be remembered under their profile. The downside is they would need to copy and paste passwords to use them, which is the downside of using 1Password.com in general.

Taking that one even further, each person could just have different user accounts. This would allow them to use the 1Password apps and browser extensions to fill username and password fields on webpages. That's the fully-featured experience of 1Password, and it's what I recommend. It may require a bit more setup time if you don't have multiple user accounts on each computer already. The one thing to note about the apps is 1Password for Windows with support for team accounts only work on Windows 10. We're working hard on a Windows 7 and 8 version, but if you don't have Windows 10, your 1Password accounts can only be accessed from 1Password.com.

Hopefully that gives you a good idea of the possibilities. Let me know what you think, and what sounds best to you. :)

This discussion has been closed.