1password app multiple copies

miksand
miksand
Community Member

1password says I have multiple copies of the app but I can't find any by searching in spotlight?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• Hi @miksand,

I'm sorry you are having trouble with this. Sometimes Spotlight does not find all copies depending on where they are located. If you have a backup drive connected it could be there. You may also wish to check your downloads folder.

When does this alert appear?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• miksand
    miksand
    Community Member

I just saw it for the first time.
    I think it was while I had my external boot drive connected (for running DiskWarrior on the Macintosh HD system drive). But I was not booted up from the external drive
    The 1P app listed as a duplicate was shown to be in my Applications folder on the system drive -- the same drive I was booted from.
    If 1P saw the app on my external drive, wouldn't it list that path as the duplicate?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @miksand,

The message you saw about having multiple copies should show you where they are located. If you only have 2 copies, and you were trying to open (or update) the one in the Applications folder on your main drive, it should have listed the one on your backup drive as a duplicate.

Did you see that message when trying to launch the 1Password app, or when trying to update it? Did you just see it one time, or does it appear each time you try doing the same thing? If you can make it appear again, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of that so we can see the exact message you're seeing. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks! :)

• miksand
    miksand
    Community Member

I've only seen it once
    I'll attach a screenshot if it happens again
    Thanks for the ultra fast replies!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@miksand, if I understand, 1Password is working correctly for you now and you don't keep getting messages about multiple copies of the app? If so, you don't need to worry about this unless the main 1Password app starts giving you an error message when you try to open it.

My guess is that you saw a message about multiple copies when trying to install an update for 1Password. If so, the reason we show that message is because having multiple 1Password apps installed on your Mac can sometimes cause problems. But if you're not actually experiencing those problems, you can ignore the message shown during the update. In case you're curious, we explain more about all this here: How to remove multiple, conflicting copies of 1Password from your system

You don't need to follow those steps if 1Password is working correctly for you, but that article might help to explain the message you saw.

Of course, if you do happen to run into any trouble using 1Password, just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.