Question about migrating from the app purchases to families

sraymond
sraymond
Community Member

Hi, I have questions about migrating to 1Password Families. I have had 1Password installed on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro for many years now and purchased all three apps. All of this time I have used the 1PasswordAnywhere feature from within Dropbox in my browser to gain access to my passwords on my work computer which is a PC and which I cannot install software on so I can't install 1Password.

A few days ago, that 1PasswordAnywhere feature stopped working and I see why on your forums. And the only solution I can see is to go to 1Password for Families to get the web version. However, I have already spent hundreds of dollars on three versions of 1Password for my 3 devices and the upgrades throughout the years. Why should I now have to spend $5 a month for a feature that I had all along that was just taken away from me?

I have signed up for the free trial of 1Password for Families but I have questions before I migrate my vault from the paid versions of the apps to the Families version. After the month, If I choose not to pay, I see that I would still have access through the web to my data but not be able to update stuff. Would this be true through my already paid versions of my apps or would those stop working if I migrate my vault and then do not pay the monthy fee for Families? If I choose that I don't want it, can I go back to the paid versions I have but still have access to my data through the web with Families?

I hope I am making sense.
Thank you,
Scott

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Scott ( @sraymond ),

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Removing something from a product is never an easy decision, but it sounds like you've already read all about 1PasswordAnywhere and why it had to go, so I won't rehash that conversation again here. For anyone else reading, the TL;DR is that 1PasswordAnywhere was designed for 1Password 3 as a stopgap solution to access 1Password data from Windows, prior to the existance of a 1Password for Windows application. It never evolved from that point, and Dropbox has recently stopped supporting the technology we relied on to make it work. It died a long and painful death, with most major web browser dropping support for local file access, stagnation in design, etc. We probably should have euthanized it years ago.

1Password for Families does indeed offer a robust web interface that has all of the features of 1PasswordAnywhere, plus a whole lot more (such as the ability to access multiple vaults, make edits/additions, and share items with your family members). You can read more about the benefits of 1Password for Families here:

Families - 1Password

Families is a new hosted service that we're offering. It is separate from our traditional standalone product offerings. It includes all of our compatible 1Password applications which can be used to access the service (and also includes all of the upgrades for all of those products). It is a subscription service because there are recurring costs associated with offering it.

If your subscription lapses your vaults will be frozen: no changes can be made to the data in the vaults in your Families account. You will still have read-only access to that data. Local vaults will continue to fuction on any products you have a standalone license for.

Data can be moved back and forth between local vaults and Families vaults. You'll only be able to move data into Families vaults if you're still on the trial or your subscription is valid.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• sraymond
    sraymond
    Community Member

Thanks, I think that does clear things up for me. So basically if I don't renew after the trial, my vault with the standalone app would still be good and I'd still be able to make changes to it but I wouldn't be able to update those changed to the vault in Families, therefore I am forced to pay for Families or look elsewhere since I need the ability to open this vault through the web on my work PC which I do not have the rights to install the Windows version of the app.

Is there any plan to make something similar to Families for Individuals without the sharing aspect and make it cheaper? I do not need to share my vaults or any part of them with family members so at the $5 per month, I feel like I am paying for extra that I do not need all to get a feature that I do need an was able to get until a few days ago.

• Yes, it sounds like you have the jist of it. It has been suggested a number of times that we consider offering a service similar to 1Password for Families for individuals, and that is something we're looking into. The difficulty, I imagine, will be offering that service at a lower price point than what we're already offering Families for (as low as $4/mo if subscribed to the annual plan) while still having it be a profitable service. We want AgileBits to be a sustainable company for a long time to come so that we can continue to provide the software and service at the level of quality folks have come to expect from us.

I don't know how much you use 1Password at work, but for me I'd be willing to pay $4/mo just for the ability to add/edit 1Password data while at work (something that was not possible with 1PasswordAnywhere).

It sounds like you've already signed up for the trial. We'd be interested in hearing how it goes. When you get further along with it please feel free to drop us an email to support@1password.com with a link to this thread and your feedback.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.