Trouble entering master password, general questions

remarcable
remarcable
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I regret I purchased your program from the Apple Store. It seems the support might be better if dealing directly with Agile Bits. Please let me know if I choose change to deal directly with you. I see recent updates from the Apple Store and they are installed. The Mster Password no longer works. I feel sure I'm entering it correctly and have tried numerous variations to be sure and It does not work. The e mail that I "believe" I used started with marc.r and I used it to get a update and no e mail came. I feel sure this is my error somehow and apologize for any inconvenience. I desperately need your program and paid for a license. Please help me Identify my license and I am happy to start over. I have no idea what I might have done but I want to use your program and need a little hand holding at this point. Thank you for your help. Please let me know any identifying information you need to help you help me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password, kb:starting-over, kb:update-1password, kb:switch-from-mac-app-store

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @remarcable,

I'm sorry you're having trouble unlocking and/or starting over with 1Password! But don't worry, it doesn't matter if you bought it from the Mac App Store instead of from our website - either way, it's our app and we're always happy to help. :)

I see recent updates from the Apple Store and they are installed. The Mster Password no longer works. I feel sure I'm entering it correctly and have tried numerous variations to be sure and It does not work.

That's definitely strange, as updates to the 1Password app won't cause a master password to stop working. If you're sure you're entering the correct master password but it isn't being accepted, there are some tips in this guide which might help: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

The e mail that I "believe" I used started with marc.r and I used it to get a update and no e mail came.

I'm not quite sure what you mean - do you mean you submitted your email address somewhere on our website? If so, where? What sort of email were you expecting to receive?

I desperately need your program and paid for a license. Please help me Identify my license and I am happy to start over.

A license for 1Password has nothing to do with whether or not your master password works. Also, if you bought 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, we wouldn't have any information about that in our own system because Apple doesn't share your information with us when you purchase through their store. However, that's ok because the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac doesn't require separate license information. Purchases from the Mac App Store are tied to your Apple ID and therefore do not require a license key for activation.

If you need to completely reset the 1Password app on your Mac and start over with an empty vault, you can do that by following the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

However, that will mean losing all the data you've already entered in 1Password. If you're entering the correct master password but it isn't accepted, we should be able to figure out why that's happening and help you without needing to start over.

Please let us know if any of the tips from our support site help you. If not, but you're sure you're entering the correct master password, let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• remarcable
    remarcable
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick response. Miraculously, the Password started working. I swear I typed the same thing. So happy to be back. I had a hard time learning 1 Password. Makes me feel DUMB because legions of your clients R A V E and again this is something on my end. I am going to help page and really plan to go through the entire table of contents. I also will look at videos on the web. If you have a suggestion that helps a 60 year old guy that thought he was good with computers, but whose lights may be dimming. Please send any links you believe will break it down to the lowest common denominator or even lower than that. 1 Password for those who partied too hard in the 80's.

The question that FREAKES ME OUT is when 1Password creates these off the chain, long passwords for my individual sites like GMAIL or my REALTOR databases and I want to access them from a computer that I do not own. Like on a cruise ship or a friend's home that has no 1 Password How would I be able to open my files? I can't even remember the simple passwords i currently use. This is a major question in my mind that i bet you have a great answer for. Grateful as always for your help.

Marc Nicholson
    reMARCable Real Estate at Keller Williams Realty
    Atlanta GA

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @remarcable,

I'm so glad to hear your master password started working and that you're able to unlock your data again! I'm sure that must have been a big relief for you. I don't know why it wasn't working before, but in situations like that, it's often due to something simple like caps lock being enabled, or accidentally typing a wrong character. The master password field conceals the characters you type, so it can be difficult to tell when that happens.

Sorry to hear you've had a tough time learning to use 1Password! Once you get the hang of it, I'm sure it will seem much easier. It sounds like you've already found our user guide, but in case you haven't, it's a great place to start: Welcome to 1Password for Mac

If you're having trouble with something, you can also try searching for an answer on our main support site: https://support.1password.com/

Of course, we're always happy to help, so if you have a specific question or run into any problems, please don't hesitate to let us know!

1 Password for those who partied too hard in the 80's.

Hmm, you might be onto something there - sounds like a good idea for our marketing team! :lol:

The question that FREAKES ME OUT is when 1Password creates these off the chain, long passwords for my individual sites like GMAIL or my REALTOR databases and I want to access them from a computer that I do not own. Like on a cruise ship or a friend's home that has no 1 Password How would I be able to open my files? I can't even remember the simple passwords i currently use.

I have a few suggestions for that, but the first thing I'd like to mention is that your 1Password data is stored locally on your Mac, so even if you don't have internet access, you'll be able to access your data in 1Password as long as you have access to your Mac. But if you aren't using a portable Mac (like a MacBook) and/or don't have it with you, there are other options.

Do you have an iOS or Android device? If so, you can download 1Password on that device and sync your data to it. Then, as long as you have that device with you, you'll be able to access your 1Password data.

If you're going to be in situations where you don't have your own devices with you but need to sign into certain websites from another computer, you might want to consider changing your passwords for those sites to ones that are easier to memorize. The password generator in 1Password has a 'Words' option that generates passwords using randomly generated words instead of a string of random characters, and you can find a bit more about that in our user guide here: Generate a strong password

Finally, if you want to be able to access your 1Password data from any web browser, you could sign up for a 1Password Families subscription. That gives you an online account that you can sign into from 1Password.com. There's a recurring subscription fee with a Families account, so it may or may not be worth it to you to sign up for just that one feature, but it's certainly an option if you want web access to your data from any computer.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about any of that.

reMARCable Real Estate at Keller Williams Realty

That's a fantastic job title! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.