License under a family plan, have key but no QR code

mfdunn
mfdunn
Community Member

My father purchased a family plan in 2012. I'm setting up my account now, I have a key + receipt but no QR code. We live in different countries and I'd like to resolve this without troubling him.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:faq, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb-search:key, kb:understanding-account-key, kb:teams-families-setup

Comments

• rudy
    edited May 2016

Hi @mfdunn,

Thanks for your question, its a good one!

There is a wording distinction that tends to trip up people with this that I'll hopefully be able to clarify.

What your father purchased in 2012 was a 1Password Family License that he could use and share with 4 other family members. All 5 family members could install on as many machines as they owned. This was a one time payment and any syncing you might do here is going to be via dropbox, iCloud, FolderSync or WiFi Sync.

1Password Families, which is a $5/month password syncing and password sharing service for your family. This is a recurring monthly or annually charge but comes with the ability to use the Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows 10 applications without having to additionally buy them. All syncing here is done with Agilebits' hosted servers. To read more about this service, you can visit our informational page.

1Password Families is completely new this past year, so your dad definitely purchased a Family License, as such you wouldn't have a QR Code or account key.

I hope this explains the distinction between the two things, but let me know if you have any additional questions and have a good weekend!

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.