security in divorce situation

burjoes
burjoes
Community Member

My wife got my 1Password master password and we are divorcing. I know exactly when she got the password, but don't know if she used it.

I sync using iCloud and i have MFA on for icloud so she doesn't have access to icloud. which should mean she could have opened 1password on that day and written down any passwords, but couldn't have connected to my 1password file from her computer, I don't think.

Any tips regarding this situation would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @burjoes,

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through a divorce, hopefully i'll be able to answer some of your questions to lessen some of the stress.

I would recommend auditing the device list of authorized devices listed when you login to Manage My Apple ID, to ensure that none of her devices are on the list. Next you'll want to change the password on the iCloud account, changing the password should deauthorize any devices she might've connected with in the past. Changing the authorized device list should additionally prevent her from getting back into the account.

After you've done that it should be safe to now change your master password, as it won't be able to sync to any devices she might've had connected, though it sounds like she didn't. Its still a good idea to change it.

Since you don't know if she had time/opportunity to access your passwords list, the next thing you'll want to do is go through and change your passwords for all the accounts you were storing in 1Password. Its a case of better safe than sorry here.

The only way she would've been able to access the 1Password database itself is if she had opportunity to copy the file when she had access to the machine, or you had backups that she had access to, or you had a shared Dropbox sync setup at some point.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, we're here to help!

Rudy

• burjoes
    burjoes
    Community Member

ok thanks, that is about what i thought. thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @burjoes,

I’m glad to hear that Rudy’s answer helped you out! As he said, I hope that this time isn’t too stressful for you - if you have any other questions that we can assist with, we’re here for you.

This discussion has been closed.