how to undelete a mass deletion

Options
JamesHenderson
JamesHenderson
Community Member

Hello,

I thought families was all about backup? One of my members has accidentally sent everything to trash and I have no clue how to restore that last deletion. Yes, I can see them all there, but they are sitting alongside genuinely tasted items that I do not want to restore and I cannot tell which of two items to restore (easily).

I tried to restore the local backup, but that appears to only restore the primary folder (and removed the teams folder at the same time as well). After re-logging onto the teams folder, nothing had changed in the teams folder.

Help!
James.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: families
Referrer: kb-search:undelete

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @JamesHenderson! Yikes. I'm really sorry to hear they deleted stuff. Anything in the Trash can be restored by simply clicking the Restore button in 1Password for Mac or Windows, or 1Password.com. Bulk restoration is not supported so you should be fine just clicking the items you decide are the ones that need to be restored.

I tried to restore the local backup, but that appears to only restore the primary folder (and removed the teams folder at the same time as well). After re-logging onto the teams folder, nothing had changed in the teams folder.

To clear up the confusion here, local backups do not store 1Password Families data. They're only for local vaults, which is why you see your Primary vault in there. 1Password Families keeps Trashed items as all vaults do, and when you empty the Trash it keeps those same items in an archive for 30 days so you can restore them. That feature is only on 1Password.com right now.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

hi @penderworth thanks for the explanation :-)

...~500 items got deleted and there are~600 items in the trash, so I need to find the right ~500 items - it's going to take a long time and would have been instant had the items been in the "primary" folder so perhaps this is something to think about for the future?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

hey @penderworth Is there a way to tell when an item got deleted? ...that would help me a lot.

• Jacob
    Options

@JamesHenderson No problem. What do you mean by "the primary folder"? In 1Password for Mac, try sorting by the date modified (sorting is right below the search bar). That should make the process a bit faster. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth thanks!

...I meant Primary Vault

• Jacob
    Options

No problem at all. :)

This discussion has been closed.