Mac has died, used dropbox sync, 1password anywhere now no longer works - Anything I can do now?

frumiousB
frumiousB
Community Member

I purchased 1password for the mac and used it with the dropbox sync.

Last month my mac died and is gone. I did have everything synced with my dropbox account as directed and I could still use it with 1password anywhere so I wasn't too worried. I'd just wait until I could replace the mac and at that time I thought I could just import passwords from the dropbox account.

But I see now that 1passwordanywhere no longer works. I'd go with 1password families but all the vault import guides I've seen include interacting with the original mac which is gone now.

So the question is how do I go from where I am: All my passwords on my dropbox account, but no original mac.
To where I'd like to be: My passwords imported into a new 1password families account.

I'm looking to avoid declaring password bankruptcy and any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

So do you already have a new Mac? If you do, just download 1Password to it, then enable Dropbox syncing. You should see all your old items when they're downloaded from Dropbox. After that, just follow these instructions to migrate to a Families account.

• frumiousB
    frumiousB
    Community Member

No, but my wife has a MacBook. I will try to download 1password to it, enable dropbox syncing to my dropbox account and then try to migrate everything to a new family account. I'm just not sure how to enable my 1password license or whatever for her MacBook.

Thank you for the help, I'll report back when I've finished.

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member

That sounds good. If you downloaded 1Password from Mac App Store, you'll need to login using your own credentials to your wife's MacBook's App Store and download 1Password there. And if you purchased it from Agilebits Store, you can recover the license here. However, in your case, you can just use the free 30-day trial period of 1Password to complete the migration - no need to activate the license (provided that your wife hasn't already used that trial period).

• frumiousB
    frumiousB
    Community Member

Ok, I was able to download the software to the other mac, sync to my dropbox account and migrate the data to the shared family account. Thanks for the help! Now I just need to figure out how to create separate personal collections for her and I but I'm sure there's a guide to it.

Again thanks.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frumiousB,

I'm glad to hear that @ollifi was such a good help to you!

In 1Password Families when each of you login with your account you'll have a "Shared" and "Personal" vault right away. You can see how to invite a new member to your family here: https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-getting-started/#inviting-your-team. With your own account you can now pick which passwords you want to keep in your Personal Vault and which ones you want to share, so you just need to start sorting them out!

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.