pass update big problem

dealtek
dealtek
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I am adding this: i was using the latest firefox 46.01 and it DID ask to save the new pass - which i said yes...
Q: might this have cause the 1P problem (...may have gotten in the way of 1p)?

Hi,

I tried to follow your vid:

How to change your passwords and make them stronger.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rky57Be6u4k

I went to change an account password on excite.com

when I filled in the new pass with your generator - it worked

!!! but then I saved the new pass on the site !!!! AND 1P DID NOT ASK me to update existing record - SO THE NEW PASS WAS NOT SAVED

!!! YIKES !!!

doing a password recovery on site now

I used the menu bar to do this - but 1P app was also open at the time

Q: What happened? this is NOT good?

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: db

Comments

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

Q: So why did this not have 1P ask to update existing record?
    Q: So what is the best way to do this in the future?

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

more... ok I see that generated pass are stored in 1P - so that's a good way to find when above issue happens.

But FF & 1P stored slightly diff ones:

1p = 4C3CT+dhjhN+9GMZNWew

ff = 4C3CT+dhjhN+9GMZNWew0Q==

I had said generate

• then I saved page
    • then I said FF store = yes

How did this difference happen?

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

curious about this

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dealtek,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with 1Password right now, but don’t worry, we can get this all sorted out.

!! but then I saved the new pass on the site !!!! AND 1P DID NOT ASK me to update existing record - SO THE NEW PASS WAS NOT SAVED

more... ok I see that generated pass are stored in 1P - so that's a good way to find when above issue happens.

I’m glad to see you discovered this feature. It’s a safety net for those cases when 1Password does not prompt you to save or update your entry. We do our best to ensure that 1Password can recognize these password change forms, but because there is infinite variety in the design of websites, some sites make it a bit of a challenge for us. So you can always check in the ‘Passwords’ category to get any generated passwords that were not saved into Login items.

Q: So what is the best way to do this in the future?

In the future, if 1Password does not prompt you to update your entry when you’re updating your password on a site, there’s another safety net that can help you out. By default, when you click the ‘Fill’ button to fill in your new password, that password will also be copied to your clipboard. So if you’re not prompted to update your entry, you can open 1Password and paste that new password into the appropriate field.

But FF & 1P stored slightly diff ones:

1p = 4C3CT+dhjhN+9GMZNWew

ff = 4C3CT+dhjhN+9GMZNWew0Q==

That’s curious - Firefox stored a password that is longer than the one created by 1Password? I would have expected it to be the other way around (if a site has a hidden limit on password length, it might secretly truncate the password and Firefox would snag that version of the password).

i was using the latest firefox 46.01 and it DID ask to save the new pass - which i said yes...

Generally we recommend turning off the browser’s feature to save passwords. It’s not so much that it will conflict with 1Password, but it can get confusing if both 1Password and Firefox are prompting you to save passwords, and you could end up with passwords saved in different places.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or concerns, we’re here for you!

This discussion has been closed.