problems with El Capitan upgrade, syncing different 1pw versions

bunker
bunker
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I have two computers (A,B) i need to keep in sync.

Both had been running Mavericks / using 1pw v3. Now have a problem re: both use of 1pw and sync of 1pw via Dropbox.

1. Computer A - upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan, and v3 not work now.

2. Computer B - do not want to upgrade from Mavericks. Still needs to sync 1pw with A.

——————————

Will the following work:

1. Computer A - install 1pw v5 (i already own a v5 license). Believe v5 works fine in El Capitan? This will then create a Dropbox sync problem since v3 and v5 do not sync well...

2. Computer B - install v4 ( last Mavericks compatible version) to enable sync with v5 on A

In summary, i would then have:

Computer A with v5 / El Capitan
Computer B with v4 / Mavericks

And need 1pw to sync (via Dropbox) between the two computers (so v4 syncing with v5)

——————————
why i am hesitant to upgrade Computer B to El capitan even though might work - since old (2009 MacBook Pro) and since has "unusual" configuration with SSD in main drive/HDD in optical drive , i am reluctant to risk any problems created by an upgrade - slow performance, disruption to the two drive configuration / symlinks between two, etc

1Password Version: 3,4,5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mavericks and el capitan
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:sync v4 and v5

Comments

• Hi @bunker ,

1Password 3 (or 4) will sync with 1Password 5 through Dropbox, so you should be fine. The only change I would make is that 1Password 6 is a free upgrade from 5, so when you upgrade to El Capitan on computer A, install 1Password 6 instead. Your 1Password 5 license will work.

If you already have sync set up on Dropbox, you can continue to use that keychain file that is already on Dropbox. When you launch it 1Password 6 the first time, you can choose to use the data already on Dropbox and it will pull down all of your items from that sync file.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

Hi Kevin, thanks for the quick reply. much appreciated.

Sounds like v3 will now sync with v5 (or v6)?

i seem to recall looking through the support forum a while back and seeing comments indicating that the two versions were not fully compatible , that people were having problems with the sync between v3 and v5...

Sounds like those issues no longer exist?

If that is true, that's great - i'd prefer to just keep v3 on the one computer running Mavericks and then have that sync to the computer with El Capitan and v6...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bunker,

Yes, 1Password 3, 4, 5, and 6 for Mac can all sync with each other via Dropbox. That has always worked, so I'm not sure what problem you may have read about in other threads. But if you're curious about that and can give us a link to one of the discussions you read, I'm sure we can help clarify what it was about.

...i'd prefer to just keep v3 on the one computer running Mavericks and then have that sync to the computer with El Capitan and v6...

That should be fine! 1Password 3 isn't fully compatible with El Capitan, but should still work well on Mavericks. Keep in mind that you're more than welcome to use 1Password 4 on Mavericks if you'd like - your license for version 5 and 6 also works with version 4. But that's entirely up to you, and you can certainly use version 3 on Mavericks if you prefer.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.