getting 1P setup on older 10.8.5 mac

dealtek
dealtek
Community Member

I have 1P working on EL CAP - synced to dropbox...

It asked for new data file or find existing....?

I tried to open a backup from el cap - but it didn't work....

Q: How do I get 1P setup on older 10.8.5 mac w 1P version 3.8

1Password Version: 3.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.8.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

I was able to create new empty data file - then import from .1pif...

How do I sync from my el cap that uses dropbox in the future?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dealtek ,

I’d be happy to help you get sorted out here, but I think I need a little bit better idea of your set up.

• Are you using 1Password 3 on both of your computers? (The latest version of 1Password is version 6, and it will work a lot more smoothly for you on El Capitan than version 3 will.)
    • It’s not clear whether you’re starting fresh on one computer or trying to import an existing data file. On which computer is your most up-to-date 1Password information stored?
  • dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

el cap used v6 - and has master version data here - also synced with dropbox and 2 IOS devices

10.85 older mac stuck at v3 - so I guess I started again fresh - then imported from el cap backup

hope that helps

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek,

There is no need to export to an unencrypted 1PIF or restore from a backup if you set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password 3 on your old Mac. Then you will have access to the exact same data and it will always be in sync.

However, 1Password 3 does not read the new default data format: OPVault. So you will need to switch to Agile Keychain in order to sync with the old version of 1Password. Just follow the steps in that support article and make sure that "Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync" is disabled.

So, in "Step 2" just be sure that you disable that setting. Otherwise, the rest of the steps are the same.

Then, on your old Mac, open your Dropbox folder and double-click 1Password.agilekeychain. (If you see, 1Password.opvault, you must not have made the switch correctly.) We can provide further assistance if necessary. :)

Let me know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.