csv import items

austindavec
austindavec
Community Member

I was astounded that an exported record could not be re-imported "as-is" into 1Password, and that after reading your csv file tutorial, there are only 4 importable types. Are there any other csv import types that can be imported (correctly) in addition to login, credit card, software license, and secure note?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:upload, kb:import, kb:create-csv-files

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @austindavec,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble importing from a CSV file! I'm sure we should be able to help one way or another.

I'm not sure if I completely understand the situation or what sort of problem you're running into here. Can you please give us some more details? Do you currently have a CSV file that you're unable to import into 1Password? Was it exported from another password manager? What app was used to create it? And what exactly happens when you try to import it into 1Password?

If you have a CSV file from another app that you're trying to import into 1Password, please make sure you take a look at this knowledgebase article: Import data from other applications

Once we know more about the CSV file and what happens when trying to import it, we should be able to help you with that. Or if I misunderstood the problem, please let us know. Thanks in advance! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016

@austindavec ,

Export of CSV from 1Password is a low-fidelity means to export the most important data, but not the entire record's contents. It would not be possible, since a record contains an arbitrary number of (UI hidden) fields and some fields such as the encoded attachments are far too large to fit into a CSV cell.

Use a 1PIF export if you want the full contents of a record for re-import later. It is not encrypted, so be safe.

1Password for Mac only supports the 4 records types you mention for CSV importation. There are converters that can convert various password manager's exports into 1PIF for good importation fidelity.

As @Drew_AG asks, what are you actual needs?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, 1PIF is best since it supports all of the data in 1Password items natively and is well-defined. CSV is more flexible, but that makes it less reliable since different apps will interpret the information differently — sort of like RTF documents: universally supported, but not particularly good anywhere. Using 1PIF will get you the exact same data in and out.

This discussion has been closed.