Override master password requirements?

Options
kDCYorke
kDCYorke
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Families

I've currently got my elderly mother on the standalone version of 1Password. I'd like to move her over to my family account. Unfortunately family accounts have some requirements for the master password (it may just be that it requires 10 characters). Unfortunately, changing her master password would be too much for her to handle. Is there a way I'm not seeing to override this requirement so I can move her over to Family?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kDCYorke,

I'm happy to hear that you use 1Password Families and want to share it with your mother. Right now there is no way to override the minimum length requirement.

I have an idea that could maybe help you. Keep in mind that it's not the ideal from a security point of view, and I would only recommend it for someone in the very special circumstances that you and your mother are. You could maybe consider to have her Master Password in the Families account be two times her current password. If right now she types "house1" you could make it into "house1house1", it would be a tiny difference and she wouldn't need to remember anything new.

Please let me know what you think of this and if you have any other questions that we can help you with :chuffed:

• kDCYorke
    kDCYorke
    Community Member
    Options

I might give this a try. Thanks!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @Pilar, you're welcome! Let us know how everything works out :chuffed:

• kDCYorke
    kDCYorke
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks @Pilar and @nmott. I'm not sure if you guys watch old posts, but I have a thought I'd like to run by you before I try.

As I understand it, if personal vaults are enabled, that vault is used to store Team keys. With that in mind, could she use a personal vault (OS X) with the simpler password and then add the team from there. Wouldn't she still be able to use the team data with the simpler personal vault master password?

If this would work, will it also work in iOS?

Lastly, could her Personal vault (Families) be shared or would a new shared vault have to be used for that purpose?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kDCYorke,

Thanks @Pilar and @nmott. I'm not sure if you guys watch old posts, but I have a thought I'd like to run by you before I try.

Yep! When you post, even in an "old" thread, the thread is bumped to the top of the list. We keep a close eye out for any threads where the latest reply isn't from an AgileBits Team Member.

As I understand it, if personal vaults are enabled, that vault is used to store Team keys. With that in mind, could she use a personal vault (OS X) with the simpler password and then add the team from there. Wouldn't she still be able to use the team data with the simpler personal vault master password?

If personal vaults are enabled then the Master Password for the "Primary" vault is the one that is used to unlock the application. So, yes, that may work for her. :)

If this would work, will it also work in iOS?

Yep, same deal.

Lastly, could her Personal vault (Families) be shared or would a new shared vault have to be used for that purpose?

Personal vaults are designed in such a way that they can never be shared with anyone (hence the name). A shared vault would need to be created if she has items she'd like to have shared.

Excellent idea! I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• kDCYorke
    kDCYorke
    Community Member
    Options

We'll give this a shot. Thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kDCYorke, we're always happy to help! Please let us know how this option works for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.