“1Password” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “1Password” and download it again from the App St

pappy56
pappy56
Community Member

“1Password” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “1Password” and download it again from the App Store. I need this to be fixed. I'm afraid if I delete the program as instructed and try to reinstall it, it will require me to pay $64.95 to reload it. All my passwords were on this program and I have been using it for over a year. Please help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS El Capitan 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:“1Password” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “1Password” and download it again from the App Store. I need help getting this fixed.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pappy56,

I'm sorry you're having trouble opening the 1Password app!

This is actually related to a certificate issue in the Mac App Store which can cause that message to appear for various apps (not just 1Password). We have more information (and steps to solve it) here: Mac App Store: App damaged / prompted for Apple ID

Your 1Password data is safe! Just follow the steps from that post to solve it. Even if you need to delete & reinstall the 1Password app, you won't lose any of your data, because that's stored in another location on your Mac (and not in the app file itself). When deleting the app, just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools.

You won't need to repurchase 1Password as long as you're signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID you used to make the original purchase. Just launch the Mac App Store, make sure you're signed in with that same Apple ID, and go to the Purchased section. Find 1Password in the list of purchased apps and click the Install button.

Hopefully that solves the problem, but please let us know if you need more help. Thanks! :)

• WhaleSong
    WhaleSong
    Community Member

Hello,

I too am experiencing this error message, today June 30th 2016 - I followed the steps at: Mac App Store: App damaged / prompted for Apple ID but neither of these corrected the problem.

Do I now DELETE the APP and re-download/install in from the APP store. Do I simply DELETE the APP ?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WhaleSong,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

This discussion was about a specific issue that occurred back in May. That issue has since been resolved, so you should follow the steps in the error message:

Delete the 1Password app and install it again.

Your data is stored separately from the app and will not be harmed. Just be sure that you don't use an uninstaller app like AppCleaner, AppZapper, CleanApp, and other similar apps. Uninstaller apps prompt you to delete supporting files when moving an app to the Trash, and this can result in accidentally deleting all of your 1Password data.

• WhaleSong
    WhaleSong
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Hello khad,

This seems to have corrected the problem and I am once again able to open/operate the 1Password APP.

However, I notice the difference in the Safari extension number? I have installed 4.5.7 the newer extension appears to be 1Password-4.5.8.safariextz

When I try to instal this, I get an error saying: "An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting this?

I am running Safari Version 9.1.2 (11601.7.7) on 17" MacBook Pro running El Capitan Version 10.11.6

Cheers

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WhaleSong,

Are you attempting to install the Safari extension from our extension download page or from the Safari extension gallery?

This discussion has been closed.