Problems with updating a login and password history

orin
orin
Community Member

Okay, I've had this problem a few times now. I have the wrong password in my vault somehow (not sure how this is happening in the first place) and then I go through the "forgot my password" routine. When I reset my new password, using 1 Password to generate it, as I log in 1 Password asks if I want to save or update. I choose to update the login. Then the next time I try to log in the password is still wrong. So I go to the password history to find the password I just created and it's not there. No idea what's goind on here, but as I've said this has happened multiple times now.

So, instead of using the would-be handy features of 1 Password I have to generate a password, copy it manually, find the login, go in and edit the login, and paste the password in manually. That works every time.

Any thoughts on why the update login feature isn't working and the passwords aren't showing up the password history either?

Thanks for the help and an overall great product.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Passwords not updating correctly or in history

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @orin,

I'm sorry you're having trouble updating passwords for your Login items!

You said you're using version 4.5.5 of the browser extension, but the latest version is 4.5.6. I don't know if that's necessarily related to the problem you described, but it's a good idea to make sure you have the latest installed. The extension is normally updated automatically by the browser, but there are some circumstances where it might not be. This knowledgebase article should help: How to keep the 1Password browser extension up to date

Now, in case the problem still happens when the latest extension is installed, do you by any chance have both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password installed? If so, that might explain the problem as they each keep a separate database, so you might be updating one but then checking the other. If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see more than one 1Password app in there? If so, what is the exact file name of each one?

Also, is there a possibility you're saving new Login items instead of updating existing ones? Or do you have multiple Login items for the same site and are updating the wrong one? Those might be possible explanations for the behavior you described. You can try searching in the main 1Password app for one of the sites where you've had this problem, and see if more than one Login item is shown.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• orin
    orin
    Community Member

Hi Drew, thanks for the quick reply.

So I checked the extension article and I have the preferences set up to automatically update, but I guess it didn't do it. I don't see any way to manually check for an update, should I uninstall and renistall the extension?

Only one 1Password in my apps, so I don't think that's doing it.

Last, I don't think I'm saving a new login, I had successfully used the "update login" feature before in the past and I would swear I'm not doing anything differently these last few times I've tried it. When it happened to me this morning I did indeed try searching to see if I had created a new login. Nothing but the actual webpage with the wrong password and a few other related pages came up in the search. I even checked the related pages to see if the password had gone there instead, but they all seemed fine.

As I also mentioned, I don't know why the password history won't show the password I created. This makes things extra annoying, because while I can roughly remember the passwords made my the generator, enough to recognize the right one, once they dissapear from the program if they did not update the login properly I have to go through the "forgot my password" drill a second time. This was exactly what happened this morning. Interestingly, it took three tries to get a password that the websit accepted and the first three that were rejected were in my history, but the one that worked and should be been updated to the login dissapeared. Leaving me with a new password I didn't know, which was not very useful!!

Anyway, if you have any other ideas I'm happy to hear them, plus it would be good to update the extension.

• Hi @orin,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Also, please include the date/time you tried to update the login item and it didn't work. The report does not contain the actual password data (it doesn't have any personal data), but with the date/time we can look and see if there were any errors when trying to save it.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• orin
    orin
    Community Member

Thanks for the continued support, here is my support ID number:

PCG-58916-642

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@orin: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: PCG-58916-642

This discussion has been closed.