Mac desktop syncing reverted to old data. Help!

DerrickEver
DerrickEver
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I hope this is an easy fix. While updating I accidentally deleted some 1Password files. I noticed it when launching the desktop version the app was having problems finding the 1Password mini. After I was successfully able to relaunch the desktop app, I was confused in where to sync and used files on my Mac, which are no longer up to date because some key files got dumped. So it restored using outdated information.

Fearing that if I synced with my iOS devices the older version would overwrite the up-to-date version on my iPhone and iPad, I quickly disabled Wi-Fi syncing to prevent that from happening.

So now I need to figure out how to bring my desktop version back up to date to match what’s on my iOS devices. If I do a Wi-Fi sync will the newer data (on the iOS devices) overwrite the old data (that’s on my desktop)? That’s my preferred outcome.

Am I making any sense?

1Password Version: 6.3 BETA-19
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• Hi @DerrickEver ,

As long as you have all of your items on your iPhone and iPad, we should be able to help you get them back to your Mac, so no need to worry. FYI, you did the right thing in turning off WiFi sync.

I'll give you a couple of things to try, starting with the easiest. If one doesn't work, try the next:

In 1Password for Mac, go to your Preferences and click Backups.

• Look for a backup from just before this started happening.
    • If you see one, restore to that backup, then launch 1Password again.
    • See if all of your items are back.

If that doesn't work, do you have a Time Machine backup? If so, do the following:

• Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    • Go to the Finder, choose "Go To Folder…" from the Go menu and enter ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups
    • When that folder appears Enter Time Machine and go back to when your Backup files return, and restore them.
    • Launch 1Password, go into Preferences and click on Backups, and restore to the backup just before you deleted files.

If that doesn't work, go to one of your iOS devices.

• Go to Settings -> Advanced, and tap "Create Backup"
    • Connect your device to your Mac, and launch iTunes.
    • Go to the device in iTunes, and click on Applications in the side bar.
    • Scroll down to the "File Sharing" section, click on 1Password in the list, and on the right you should see "Backups" save that out to your desktop.
    • Go back to 1Password for Mac, go into the Backup Preferences, and click "Find Backup".
    • Then open that folder you just saved to the desktop from iTunes, and open the backup file inside.

That should do it. Once you have your items back, you can turn WiFi sync back on again. If you need any assistance, or have further questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• DerrickEver
    DerrickEver
    Community Member

Hey Kevin,

Thank you so much! The Time Machine option did the trick. All is restored.

Derrick

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! I'm really glad to hear that helped you to restore your data.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.