I followed your FAQ and can't seem to find the location of the data backups of the passwords -

sce10532
sce10532
Community Member

I need the file location of the backups and can't seem to see it from following your FAQ - I use a macbook pro running el capitian -- I replaced my hard drive and backed up the data beforehand to time capsule. I printed out what I thought was a complete file of 1Password data but only the passwords were printed and not the secure notes -- I have my router and time capsule passwords in the secure notes area and need that file location from normal install so that I can try to restore the data from the cloud-- please advise name of backup file, where it normally would be located and how to import it into new install of 1password -- thanks for your help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:where is data file stored on mac, ug:mac/, kb:backup-faq

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sce10532,

please advise name of backup file, where it normally would be located ...

Where your backups are stored will depend on where you originally purchased 1Password for Mac.

Mac App Store

Datafile: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    Backups: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

AgileBits Store

Datafile: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    Backups: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

... and how to import it into new install of 1password

The simplest way to get your data into a new installation of 1Password is to move the datafile (not the backup) from Time Machine to the same folder location on your new hard drive. Then, when you open 1Password for the first time, it will detect this data and prompt you for your Master Password.

I hope this helps, but if you hit any snags in the process, we’re here for you!

• sce10532
    sce10532
    Community Member

Thank Megan - (my account wth Agilebits improbably under hockett.john@gmail.com - the ace10532 is one I use to collect specific messages on photography)

I have looked through several backups created prior to my change out of the hard drive and don't find any files in any of the four locations you mention above - there is no folder named "Container" under Library and no 1Password folder under Application Support

Also, I was able to reinstall 1PS and have entered 10 or 12 passwords and notes and don't see any of these folder on the new hard drive

Could they be hidden? I would like to use my old data files if they a\can be found but am ok going ahead and recreating the files as I need them.

Please let me know any thoughts, ideas thanks John

• hi @sce10532,

Apple hides the Library folder itself, but everything inside that folder should still be present.

In the Finder, if you click the Go menu and then hold down the option key on the keyboard it should reveal a "Library" menu item that when clicked will take you to your Library folder.

This is a different library folder than /Library, so it might explain why you weren't able to see a Containers or Application Support/1Password 4 folder.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.