I can't sign into 1Password on my mac pro

jserenson
jserenson
Community Member

I have not been on my mac pro for awhile. I did an update and things seemed to be ok. Then it started to give me an error message can't connect to 1password mini. Kept giving me an error dialog. Tried to uninstall and redownload did not work Tried to terminal thing with extended attributes. So now I am dead in the water with my mac pro and 1password. It is really inconvenient can't get passwords. Please help me get it back to normal.

1Password Version: downloaded form agile bits for mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: el capitan
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jserenson,

I'm sorry you're running into problems with 1Password on your Mac Pro! We'll be able to help get things working one way or another.

First, it will help if you can clarify a few things:

I have not been on my mac pro for awhile.

Does that mean you've been using 1Password on other devices? If so, on what devices are you using 1Password aside from the Mac Pro? And what version of 1Password is installed on each device?

Is 1Password working correctly on the other devices? And do those other devices have all your latest 1Password data?

I did an update and things seemed to be ok.

Do you mean you updated the 1Password app on your Mac Pro, or was that an OS X update? Or something else?

Then it started to give me an error message can't connect to 1password mini. Kept giving me an error dialog.

Are you still getting the "failed to connect to 1Password mini" error message when trying to open the 1Password app? You included a screenshot of a different error message that says "Update Version Required" but didn't explain when you're seeing that one. Did that also appear at some point when trying to launch 1Password? Which of those two errors did you see first, and which one are you still seeing now?

1Password Version: downloaded form agile bits for mac

It sounds like you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac. Do you also mean that you downloaded a new copy from our download site when you tried uninstalling & re-downloading the app?

Can you please confirm the exact version of 1Password currently installed on your Mac Pro? If you can't open it, just find it in the Applications folder on your Mac, click once on the app file, and go to File > Get Info. You'll be able to find the version number in the info window that opens.

Do you happen to have multiple copies of the 1Password app on your Mac? Try looking in the Applications folder to see if you have more than one 1Password app. If so, what is the name of each one?

Sorry for all the questions, but once we hear back from you with your answers, I think we'll have much better idea of how to get things working again. Thanks in advance! :)

• jserenson
    jserenson
    Community Member

This is the version I am using on my macbook pro
    1Password 6
    Version 6.2.1 (621002)
    AgileBits Store
    and it seems to be working fine.
    after coming back from Florida I had not used my Mac Pro for 8 months.
    I updated any software updates and it seemed to be ok.
    Then it updated with a Beta version of 1Password which may have caused the problem

after I install the agile bits website version
    I can't get the 1Password installed to work it just keeps getting the error messages.

• jserenson
    jserenson
    Community Member

I tried uninstalling and installing and that did not seem to work maybe there is something that is not being uninstalled and it is finding data that is incompatible.

• jserenson
    jserenson
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I have reinstalled el capitan and removed extensions and tried reinstalling. But something still is amiss. I download 6.2.1 from agile bits download. unzip and put it in the applications folder Macintosh HD->Applications. Then I try to open it and keep getting the dialogs and can't get it to open.
    I really need some help on this, I can't use 1Password
    If i keep clicking quit on the dialog it finally gets to a point where I see 1 password but nothing is enabled on the menu.
    Clicking on the failed to connect to mini quits the app.
    Is there some batch file to completely clean out the data.
    This is a real bummer not being able to get answers quick support used to be easier than this. I hope I do not have to find another password manager that has better support.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@jserenson the structure of the 1Password database has been modified by AgileBits during the 6.3 beta cycle so you can't revert directly to 6.2.1. See this AgileBits' post for a work around. Alternatively, try the latest beta and, if you still have problems, post in the Mac Beta forum where you'll get more help.

Stephen

• jserenson
    jserenson
    Community Member

Thanks I have done a start from fresh and things are ok now.

• jserenson
    jserenson
    Community Member

How do I close this thread I have solved my problem by doing a fresh start and deleting all files on my Mac Pro related to 1password, and then reinstalling. After that I was able to load 1password6. But had a problem with syncing with Dropbox. To solve that I unlinked the Dropbox and delteted the local Dropbox and then linked a new local Dropbox location and set the link to sync to it in 1password.
    Thanks to all who commented. I really missed my 1password app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No need to close it. Thanks for the update! Hopefully you're all set, but we're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.