Logins for two accts/same website

RJMJ
RJMJ
Community Member

Hello, this is my first attempt with the 1Password Forum community. I have a Mac desktop, El Capitan OS and use the Firefox browser. I have two issues:

1) a website I use requires an acct for me & one for my spouse with a username and password for each and the website requires that the username be the email address of the acct holder. We only use one email address, is there a way for 1Password to accept two accts using the same website?

2) another website will not accept my bookmarked entry (for security reasons) so I have to enter the website each time I access my accts. 1Password has the website saved but the website didn't open when I clicked on it thru the 1Password icon. Suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RJMJ,

Welcome to the forums! We’ll do what we can to help you get this resolved as soon as possible.

1) a website I use requires an acct for me & one for my spouse with a username and password for each and the website requires that the username be the email address of the acct holder. We only use one email address, is there a way for 1Password to accept two accts using the same website?

You can definitely have multiple Login items for the same website. The trick here is to make sure that you use a unique title for each item so that you can tell them apart. To ensure that 1Password saves the details correctly, please follow these steps:

Save a New Login Manually

2) another website will not accept my bookmarked entry (for security reasons) so I have to enter the website each time I access my accts. 1Password has the website saved but the website didn't open when I clicked on it thru the 1Password icon. Suggestions?

I’m not quite sure I understand the question here, so if I’m answering the wrong thing, please let me know!

If you type in the web address manually into the browser’s menu bar, you should be able to use the ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) shortcut to get 1Password to fill your details in on the sign in form once the page is loaded. Is 1Password not filling the entry correctly?

• RJMJ
    RJMJ
    Community Member

Hello Megan, thank you for your response. Item #1 seems easy enough for me to follow but I feel kind of dumb because I'm confused. In the instructions to manually save, it says to open 1Password (I used the Mini) but I do not see a "gear" icon or settings in 1password. I am using a Mac with El Capitan. So, is the "manual save" to be used in the full 1Password program versus the mini? Item #2 may be answered once I understand how to work out item #1.

Thank you,

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RJMJ,

Every question is a good a question, and we're happy to help you navigate 1Password. When you click on the 1Password icon on your browser you should be able to see this:

The red arrow is pointing to the gear that you need to click. Please let us know how this goes! :chuffed:

• RJMJ
    RJMJ
    Community Member

Well, that was "very" helpful! I have vision limitations so I often don't see what is obvious to most people & your visual red arrow was perfect!!

However, it doesn't appear that this will work this way with this particular site. Once the site is open, the first page asks you to enter your account number as opposed to a username. Then underneath the account number is "log in". After clicking log in, a second page opens where a security option is checked & then after you verify it, you enter the password. Then and only then will the site open to my accoount.

1Password does not open the acct even if I give the login a different name because of the way this site works. Therefore, in the 1Password mini, under that log in name, I enter specific account information in the notes. Then I copy & paste that info into the site. Given that, each time I want to visit that site, I need to follow their security measures, one of which I cannot bookmark the website to enter the actual site. For each individual account, I enter the site info manually, e.g. www.examplecompany.com and then follow their security steps.

I hope that all makes sense. Thank you Megan for all your help but I think both items are resolved the best way it can be resolved under those circumstances.

Megan, thank you again for your help.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RJMJ,

I'm glad that it helped! If you want to, there's still something you can do for those split login pages that can be quiet annoying! We have a very nice tutorial here: https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/mac.html

Please let us know if you try it and what's the outcome! :chuffed:

• RJMJ
    RJMJ
    Community Member

Hi Pilar! I apologize, but I did not notice that it was you who responded to my last couple of messages.

I tried the tutorial & it helped me not only to understand the 1Password features a bit more but also to learn how to mostly resolve my issue. But, when it didn't automatically log me in completely through the multiple pages, I re-read the tutorial. And this time, I read clear down to the end - oops - "What to do if your multi-page Login item doesn’t work". It offered another option - which is, to save a separate log in with each page.

I can also just copy & paste the necessary info into the website whenever I have to access a second acct with the same website. I don't know if that's as secure as 1Password doing the work or not but I tried it that way & it worked.

It isn't always obvious to me so, Pilar, thank you for being so thorough with the steps.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RJMJ,

I'm glad that the guide was helpful and to hear that you're finding new ways to enjoy 1Password :chuffed:

I can also just copy & paste the necessary info into the website whenever I have to access a second acct with the same website. I don't know if that's as secure as 1Password doing the work or not but I tried it that way & it worked.

In terms of security it is exactly the same, so you don't need to worry about that! Keep in mind that the password only stays on the clipboard for a short amount of time. On a personal level, when webpages change their login layout often or have "weird" things going on I prefer doing just that: copy and paste the information in the right place by hand, so you wouldn't be alone on that!

We're always glad to help, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• RJMJ
    RJMJ
    Community Member

Well, yes, I need help again. I keep looping back & forth & can't find what I need. While reading the 1Password manual for a mac, it says that when I downloaded the 1Password software, I should have an Emergency Kit. But, I did not see an Emergency Kit & I've long since cleared out my download data. If I understand this correctly, I need to sign in online and join a Team before I can get my account key and before I can download an Emergency Kit document. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance,

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RJMJ,

Sorry for the confusion! Emergency Kit and Account Key are both features of our hosted subscription services, 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. These services are both great ways to share and sync your 1Password data, but they're not required.

You also have the option of buying a license for the 1Password desktop apps. This pricing page should help clarify the difference.

If you are using the standalone 1Password app (without a Families or Teams account), there is no built-in Emergency Kit. However, a wonderful fellow named Mike Vardy offers a free 1Password Emergency Kit on his website that you can print, fill out, and keep in a safe place.

I hope this answers your questions, but of course we're here for you if you have any others. :)

This discussion has been closed.