Single license or Families?

Options
Szabi1896
Szabi1896
Community Member

Hey, I've just bought the single license. I started to look which possibilities I have on 1Password. I thought I'm able to create some vaults and give them all an masterkey (I got the possibilty, but I cant type in the single masterkeys, so everyone could take a look into the other faults) that for example I can't look into the vault from my dad or smth. like that; especially for that all my family member should be able to look in there "account"/vault but need to login with the own masterkey, so that everyone is seperate from each other. Unfortunately this does not seem to be working and that's why I have to switch/upgrade to Families - is this correct? If yes, whats going to happen with my single license? Was the purchase for nothing or may I get cashback? Cause unfortunately the family seems to be a subscription.

Best regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Szabi1896: Thanks for reaching out! I'll be happy to go over the differences to help you decide what might be best for you (and your family).

First and foremost, you'll have a 30 day money back guarantee on a standalone 1Password license purchase, so you'll have plenty of time to get a refund if you decide that's not going to be ideal for you:

About our refund policy

Additionally, you'll have a 30 day free trial of 1Password Families, so if you haven't already, I encourage you to sign up, lock in your preferred URL, and play around with it to get a sense for how it will fit into your digital life:

1Password Families

However, I will say that if you wish to share data securely with your loved ones or simply use 1Password across multiple devices and platforms, 1Password Families is a great deal and likely a much better fit than buying multiple licenses. You can also save even more money by choosing an annual plan. And it's easy to setup a new device — for you or your family: simply login to your 1Password Account and you can access your data! You also don't have to manage licenses for each platform. It's all included in the subscription.

I thought I'm able to create some vaults and give them all an masterkey (I got the possibilty, but I cant type in the single masterkeys, so everyone could take a look into the other faults) that for example I can't look into the vault from my dad or smth. like that; especially for that all my family member should be able to look in there "account"/vault but need to login with the own masterkey, so that everyone is seperate from each other.

I'm not sure I entirely understand the scenario here, but I'll give a few examples and options that may help. Be sure to let me know if you have additional questions or information that might help me understand your situation better.

Depending on your preference, you may simply wish to share an individual vault with multiple people and give them the Master Password to it. You can accomplish this using Dropbox:

Share a vault with Dropbox

Many people do not want to give someone else the Master Password, however, or simply don't like the added complexity of sharing between Dropbox accounts or setting up sync on each device. It's really about what works best for you. Just keep in mind that anyone you share a vault with using Dropbox will have to have their own 1Password license and setup both the app and Dropbox on that device for it to work. I love Dropbox, have used it to sync my 1Password data for years, and continue to do so alongside 1Password Families, but not everyone enjoys the nerdy things I do. ;)

And keep in mind that Dropbox isn't used only for sharing. You can also use it to sync your own 1Password data between devices using the standalone apps without a subscription:

Dropbox sync setup

Getting back to accounts, vaults, and sharing, if you choose 1Password Families, each family member will have their own 1Password Account which they can login to on their devices to automatically make any vaults they have access to available. Each family member will have a Personal vault which only they can access, access to the family's Shared vault, and then you can also create additional vaults which can be shared with one or more individual members. It's a great way to store data each of you needs alone, as a family, or between only certain members:

How to share vaults with your family and manage permissions

The best way to get a good sense for it is to give it a try and setup a few vaults. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Szabi1896
    Szabi1896
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that perfect answer and sorry for the english, I'm from Germany and didnt spoke it for a long time so intense. :chuffed:
    You answered to all my questions and I'm pretty fine with that!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! I'm glad I was able to help. Your English is fine. I hope that mine is as well at this late hour! We're here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

• Szabi1896
    Szabi1896
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

• Jacob
    Options

A period to end the discussion? All righty! :+1: ;)

• Szabi1896
    Szabi1896
    Community Member
    Options

Hahaha no, I wrote smth. but it's done. :chuffed: :+1:

• Ben
    Options

Fair enough. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.