Which solutions with Blackberry device?

Options
Didiko
Didiko
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Families

I am a long time 1P user (on many platforms) but I have to use it as well on my Blackberry smartphone (Passport model).
Right now, I am using it through Dropbox and basically with the 1P anywhere feature (which is sometimes tricky to watch on a BB screen, but at least this works).
What if I shift to 1P for families on your servers? Then my Dropbox vault will cease to be used and what about consulting the vault from my BB then?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: BB OS 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Jacob
    edited May 2016
    Options

Greetings @Didiko! We've had a few discussions about this around the forum before. I'm afraid we simply can't justify adding support for BlackBerry, at least not on an app level. The market share is too small and we've had very few requests about it. 1PasswordAnywhere is also no longer supported in Dropbox, but you are correct that 1Password Families is available in the web. You can access your account from any modern browser on 1Password.com. I don't know if that would work with BlackBerry because I haven't heard of anyone trying it before. You could be the first! It's even more powerful than 1PasswordAnywhere. I'd love to know what you think and if it works for you. :) Feel free to sign up for a free trial at https://start.1password.com/signup/team?type=F.

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @penderworth
    This is a pity because, although probably lower profile than other popular systems, I am still convinced that this "platform" is still very present in the business and professional environment in general (like enterprises) and, as such, could match your new "1P for teams" strategy!
    Unfortunately, I've just tried to navigate to my team/family account from the built-in browser and other third party but none of them seem to be allowed by 1Password: I always get the message about an "unsupported browser" inviting me to use Firefox or Chrome etc. but none of these browsers are available for BB.
    So, at short term, this will become a huge problem for me, not cool :-1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Didiko: It's definitely something we'll continue to keep our eye on, but we simply don't have the resources to take on another platform at this time. It may be that one day 1Password and Blackberry's paths will converge though.

And also (un)fortunately I'm not aware of mobile browsers that are capable of supporting 1Password Teams/Families. The fact is that they simply don't support the WebCrypto standards which are crucial to keeping the web interface both secure and efficient. Even some popular desktop browsers, notably Internet Explorer, aren't advanced enough to make this possible. But while Microsoft won't be improving Internet Explorer going forward, the same can't be said of mobile browsers, since the hardware will become more powerful and they will gain features of their more advanced desktop siblings.

So as much as such things may fit with our "strategy" in a broad sense, we won't be lowering the security of 1Password Teams/Families just to increase adoption. But there's a great deal of hope that mobile browsers will be more capable as time goes on. :)

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member
    Options

Basically I'm just saying that the only solution for the BB devices will soon disappear and that no alternative is available at short or mid-term, which is (in my humble opinion) very sad.
    Again, when developing services like your new 1P for teams, one cannot deny that the professional environment is targeted by Agilebits while BB is neglected, a bit paradoxal for me, but again, who am I...
    For the rest, you are following the new tendency to sell subscriptions rather than products. The only valid question being "what if" the customer decides to put an end to the subscription?

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately as penderworth alluded BlackBerry simply doesn't sell enough devices for us to invest the huge amount of time that would be required to develop and maintain a native app for their platform. I wish it weren't so, as I remember when BlackBerry was the tool to have for business communications. They simply haven't kept up with Android or iOS, and I can't say I've even seen someone use a BlackBerry in my dealings in years (4+).

When a 1Password subscription is no longer in good standing the account will be frozen. New items cannot be added and existing items cannot be edited. Existing items can be viewed. Renewing the subscription will unfreeze the account.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.