Can you guys add Sync with iCloud Drive also?

daniels
daniels
Community Member

Can you guys add Sync with iCloud Drive also? Same as we have now sync with Dropbox. So to be clear I'm referring to iCloud Drive and not what's already available now (iCloud Sync).

I have bought 1Password from the website instead of AppStore and now I kind of find myself needing to be able to sync with my iPhone also and the only option that I know would be WiFi but I was thinking how "Sync with Dropbox works", can't we do the same and add sync with iCloud Drive? I already have this configured on my Mac (as a backup for when I reinstall the OS) so if this would also be available on the iPhone it would be awesome.

What do you think?

1Password 6
Version
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 6.2.1 (621002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4 (15E65)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

@daniels Can you help me understand what you would expect to get out of iCloud Drive that you wouldn't expect from iCloud? I'd love to know what you're looking for from the iCloud Drive sync option :)

• daniels
    daniels
    Community Member

Haha, yes, it's working this way. Not sure why but for some reason I was under the impression that iCloud sync will not work unless you download 1Password from AppStore. And I had it from AgileBits store not AppStore.

So now I was using "sync with folder" and as path in my Mac I was using "/Users/daniels/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com\~apple\~CloudDocs/1Password" (so basically the iCloud Drive from the Mac) and I was thinking that maybe the same can be made for the iOS app so that we can get the sync working for apps that are not bough from the AppStore but as it seems that's working (did something changed recently or it always been like this?) everything is ok :+1: :smile:

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@daniels ah, I gotcha! Yes, we were able to get iCloud sync working with our AgileBits store version when we released 1Password 6 for Mac I'm glad everything is working and that you're all set on your Mac and iPhone :)

• mthomas184
    mthomas184
    Community Member

I actually second this motion. The reason being is I have an iPhone, iPad, MacBook but also a Windows PC. I subscribe to iCloud drive and would like to securely use it there so I can sync it from a Windows PC instead of Dropbox. Unless I am missing something here....

• daniels
    daniels
    Community Member

@mthomas184 Good point. If iCloud drive works on Windows this would make it work for your use case.
    So new feature request if possible :smile:

• mthomas184
    mthomas184
    Community Member

@daniels I just read this on another thread. Not sure if this is still the case or not.

"Dropbox is a separate service and 1Password is tuned for it. We can sync your file using iCloud Drive but only if it is just your PCs and your Macs and no mobile devices are included."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @daniels and @mthomas184,

Thanks for letting us know you'd like to use iCloud Drive to sync your 1Password data! Although the Mac and Windows versions of 1Password can be set to sync to a location within iCloud Drive, the problem is that iCloud Drive has trouble detecting changes within folder bundles like the ones we use for Dropbox and Folder sync. Therefore it won't work well as a sync solution for 1Password. This is one of the reasons we're using Apple's CloudKit technology for iCloud sync.

The iCloud sync option is great if you only need to sync 1Password between Macs and/or iOS devices, but if you also need to sync with Windows, Dropbox is your best option.

Hopefully this helps to explain a bit about that, but please let us know if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• artspiller80
    artspiller80
    Community Member

IF iCloud services are installed on a windows PC, why isn't it possible to use iCloud sync on the PC? My company has banned dropbox from desktops, so I have no way to keep my 1password synced across all my devices. I love the software but am looking at other options as this is a deal breaker.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @artspiller80 ,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble finding a sync that works with your company computer.

Unfortunately, 1Password uses CloudKit to handle the iCloud syncing, and this service is separate from iCloud Drive. (I know, there’s a lot of ‘cloud’ names floating around - it’s easy to get confused!

If you’re looking for a simple way to keep your 1Password data with you everywhere, you might want to check out 1Password Families. With 1Password Families or 1Password Teams, you don’t need a third party solution to sync your data - 1Password handles it all. There’s even a handy web app that can help you access your data when you’re away from all your devices.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

• rcrcr
    rcrcr
    Community Member

Is this possible to do now? I have multiple Vaults that I want to sync, and, for a variety of reasons, am looking to phase out Dropbox.

• Hi @rcrcr,

While we do understand the desire to replace Dropbox in whole, at this time we have no plans to implement syncing via iCloud Drive.

Rudy

• rcrcr
    rcrcr
    Community Member

Do you have any recommendation for syncing multiple Vaults without Dropbox? I am not averse to paying for 1Password Families, but to my knowledge, it is not well suited (or perhaps not at all suited) for individuals in that "Family" using it to sync multiple private Vaults of their own. No?

• rcrcr
    rcrcr
    Community Member

Or, to think about it differently, are there technical barriers to someday implementing multiple Vault support for the current CloudKit sync implementation (which I find to be great, except for its 1 Vault limitation)?

• Hi rcrcr,

You can sync multiple vaults with 1Password Families, and you can configure access to those vaults -- making multiple 'personal' vaults no problem.

Any technical barriers regarding multi-vault CloudKit sync can be surmounted with enough effort. But when we developed the iCloud / CloudKit sync we wanted it to be the simple go-to option that would work for most people. Adding the UI required to support multiple vaults worked against that goal. And we knew that Dropbox would work for well for advanced use cases.

However, now we are putting tremendous effort behind the 1Password.com syncing because that is the simplest and the most flexible path. It's the simplest to set up, works on all platforms, and finally allows multiple vaults to be shared between multiple users with advanced access controls.

This discussion has been closed.