URGENT!! Missing items after sync/merge. Help!!

ivanreid
ivanreid
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Hi. I posted to a similar message here but think this is sufficiently different to warrant its own thread.

BACKGROUND:
I have multiple OS X and iOS devices, all synching via Dropbox and I'm on 1Password 6 (bought direct from Agilebits).
A few days ago, I fired up an old MacPro of mine that had 1Password6 and Dropbox installed, but which had been synced to a different folder in my Dropbox, let's call it 1PASSWORD-MACPRO (1). It has a .agilekeychain file timestamped 13 Jun 2015.

My other devices were all synching to another folder, let's call it 1PASSWORD-ORIGINAL.agilekeychain (2), stored in the same root directory as the 1PASSWORD-MACPRO folder.

PROBLEM:
When my MacPro came online, I saw its 1Password items were different from those on my other devices and upon checking the Preferences/Sync I saw it was because it was synching with the 1PASSWORD-MACPRO(1) folder. So I changed the setting on the MacPro to point it to the .agilekeychain file that all the other devices were using (2). It noticed a difference in content, prompted me to MERGE, which I accepted, thinking a merge would be non-destructive...... BANG, I have now lost countless items (logins, ids etc...) across multiple categories IN ALL MY DEVICES!!! HELP!!!! Now when I search for logins on any device, where previously there was an entry, now there is none.

THIS IS A FUNDAMENTAL AND MONUMENTAL PROBLEM, AS I APPEAR TO HAVE LOST NUMEROUS IDS/PASSWORDS WHICH I CANNOT OF COURSE REMEMBER, all through a MERGE. PLEASE HELP URGENTLY! Is there a support number I can call, as it is so urgent? I'm in Australia....

Here is what my DROPBOX looks like:

(1) DROPBOX/1PASSWORD-MACPRO/1Password.agilekeychain(13June15, 1MB)

(2) DROPBOX/1Password.agilekeychain(today,9.6MB)

All devices currently pointing to (2) above.

UPDATE:
Using Show Package Contents on (2) I see that 1PASSWORD-ORIGINAL.agilekeychain/data/default has 617 files, all marked as synched by dropbox, some from 2015, some from last week, when I did the synch of the MacPro. However, 1Password shows only 150 (All)Items. Some or all of the difference (617-150) are my missing items (e.g. my various gmail logins, several application logins etc...). Of course, I have NOT opened or modified any files in the .agilekeychain package in any way!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:lost passwords after sync

Comments

• ivanreid
    ivanreid
    Community Member

I have a similar problem but it is worse! Have created separate thread. Help!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivanreid,

I'm sorry to hear about this problem, it can be scary to not be able to see your information but you can be reassured that everything will be back to normal in no time. 1Password automatically creates backups for your data regularly. Please go to 1Password and on 1Password menu click Preferences then click on Backup. You'll be able to see a long list of backups, find the latest one before you synced with your other computer and click on "Restore". You'll have your data back in place!

To avoid this happening again, delete the old file from dropbox and just keep the one with all your current data. Your passwords should sync to all your devices smoothly now.

Please let us know how this turns out! :chuffed:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivanreid,

I saw your post about this in another thread and merged it with this existing discussion to avoid confusion.

I hope Pilar's reply was helpful and that you were able to restore your data from a backup! Please let us know how it goes, and if you need more help with that, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.