Having trouble adding my husband to the Family 1Password account

Options
lisalemberger
lisalemberger
Community Member

A few months ago I sent my husband an invite to join my 1Password Family account. He didn't click the link and now the invitation has expired. I tried to send a new invite but couldn't figure out how to do that. I went to System Preferences/iCloud/Manager Family and tried to re-add him. I couldn't so I deleted him from the list and tried to add him back. Am getting an error message "Could not add family member" A new family member could not be added at this time. Please try again later."

1Password Version: Version 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Home WiFi
Referrer: ug:mac/new-computer-teams-families, ug:mac/new-computer-icloud, ug:mac/new-computer-dropbox, kb-search:add a family member, kb:family-sharing

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@lisalemberger

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201081

Please see the above help topic as it sounds like your issue. Additional questions on this would need to be directed to Apple as its OS X and iCloud services and not related to 1Password.

1Password does not use the iCloud preferences to control team members.

Once you get that sorted please come back to this topic and we can explain further on how to add him to your 1Password "Family" account. I am specifically withholding that information in this post as I would like you to resolve the above family "iCloud" user issue.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@lisalemberger

Hopefully, you have your iCloud issue sorted or, in process.

https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-getting-started/ is a teams link but a lot of the topic can cross over to families. There is a section on inviting team members on that link and I believe it will get you on the correct path to adding your husband.

If its not what you need or you need additional help, please post back.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lisalemberger,

Please let me know if thightower’s advice has helped you get straightened out! If you’re still having trouble, we’re here for you.

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    I read the link that thightower sent but it talked about removing a family member. I'm trying to add one. My husband was listed there but I couldn't find a way to re-send an invite. So I removed him (following the steps just how thigh tower's link said), thinking then I could add him back and start over. At that point the iCloud "manage family" gave me the error message that it can't be done at this time.

Lisa

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

Megan
    I will add that I know my husband has an Apple ID, but I don' think he uses the cloud for anything. So, his Apple ID may not be connected to the iCloud thing I'm working on. I use a Mac, he's a PC guy. Is there a way to do this without the cloud?

Also, when I go to Preferences in 1Password and go to the Teams Menu, I don't see an Admin Console. I have 1Password for teams Beta. Maybe I should make sure that I actually purchased the right product.

Lisa

• Jacob
    Options

@lisalemberger I'm sorry about the confusion with the Apple ID. Inviting your husband to your family account is a different matter. Here's the best way to do things:

1. Sign in at 1Password.com
    2. Click your Family name in the top right and click Admin Console
    3. In the Family Members tab, click the + button
    4. Enter your husband's email address and click Send Invitations

Once he accepts his invite and sets up his account, you will get an email asking to confirm his on the account. Use the link in that email to confirm him and he'll be all set up.

If your husband has any data in 1Password right now, he can migrate it just as you did when you set up Families. Here's our knowledge base article to help you out:

How to migrate to a family or team

If he happens to be running Windows 7 or 8, he can get the beta of 1Password 6 for Windows to use his family account. To move things over from an existing 1Password installation, follow the steps in this post.

Hopefully that helps settle things nicely. Please let us know if you have any questions. :)

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

And here comes the most embarrassing confession. I don't think I ever purchased the license for 1Password. I check iTunes, the App store and I did a License recover through AgileBits and didn't get anything back. So I'm guessing I never moved from the beta pilot thing. Now I need to purchase the license but would like to keep my existing vaults with all my login info. Can you point me in the right direction?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2016
    Options

@lisalemberger

I show you paid for your 1Password Families subscription for a year on April 27th. Please check your email for a message from 1password@agilebits.com with the subject "Your 1Password Invoice."

Thanks

Ben

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I did but couldn't find the invoice. Is it possible to get a copy of that?

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

now we are getting some where. I started with a Beta version of 1Password, right around the time the Family version became available. I purchased the Family version, but have been putting all my login information in the beta version. I found the Admin Console and resent an invite to my husband. Now I need to
    1. get all my login stuff from 1Password individual to the 1Password Family
    2. Get rid of the old short cut to 1Password and have the Family icon in the Favorites Bar.

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

Found my Family vault and figured out how to move all my login stuff. It's all there and it looks good. Thanks everybody for your patience! It's hard to be 60 yrs old and deal with all this crazy technology!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @lisalemberger! Glad to hear you were able to get that sorted out. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. One more thing. Actually two. I added a bookmark to the Lemberger vault log in, but Safari is saving my master password, which kind of defeats the purpose of security. Meaning if my laptop is stolen, someone could click the link and get in to all my passwords. do you know how I can have Safari not do that?

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

and the second thing is how do I remove the icon from the first 1Password application..

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

I figured out the second thing. I had to Quit 1Password mini. Whatever that is...

• Jacob
    Options

@lisalemberger Oh tut tut. Safari shouldn't be so silly. You can disable autofill by launching Safari, clicking Safari > Preferences in the menu bar, switching to the Passwords pane, then unchecking the "AutoFill user names and passwords" box. Glad you figured out how to quit 1Password mini, but it's good to note that you won't be able to fill in the browser unless it's running. I love mini because it's always there if I need a password and don't want to open the whole app. :) If you want to disable it in just the menu bar, though, open 1Password's preferences and uncheck "Show mini app icon in the menu bar". Hope that helps!

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the Safari info, it worked great and I think I understand how that part works. I will stop using Safari to remember passwords and move over to 1Password completely. And now I need to understand how to get mini back. that explains why it stopped remembering passwords and I had to enter a couple manually. How do I get mini back?

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

I got mini back...sorry, should search your knowledge base before I email you..

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lisalemberger,

It’s great to see that you’re getting the hang of things! Never feel bad about asking questions here - it’s kind of our purpose to help you get sorted out. We’re always happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.