Do I have to have Windows 10 to put my old 1Password info into a new Family Account?

Options
nghafouri
nghafouri
Community Member

I want to move all of my passwords onto the shared account across several devices. Do I have to have Windows 10 on the computer with the existing 1password info? Can I do this without updating my OS?

1Password Version: 3.9.21.90
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:windows/sync-dropbox, kb:sync-options, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• nghafouri
    nghafouri
    Community Member
    Options

Great! How do I find the Windows Beta forum?

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @nghafouri! Here's the post you're looking for. :)

Help us welcome 1Password 6 to our Windows family!

If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.

• nghafouri
    nghafouri
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I've downloaded it, but can't figure out how to get my passwords from the desktop version to this new version. Is there a help article for it? The one for Windows 10 doesn't seem to apply.

• Jacob
    Options

@nghafouri Good question. First, select Sign in to your 1Password Account when you launch the app, then sign in to your account. Once it's all loaded, click Settings > Accounts & Vaults > Folder > Open vault. Your current vault is probably in a 1Password folder inside your Documents folder, unless you are using Dropbox to sync it. Whatever the case, navigate to the vault, select it and you'll be asked for its password. Once you've input that it'll be added to the app and you can move over your data by following the steps in How to migrate to a family or team. Let us know how it goes. :)

• nghafouri
    nghafouri
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting SO close! I was able to get the Windows 7 version installed on my machine and all my data added to it. Then, I downloaded the Windows 10 version on my new laptop and signed in. All my data was there! The last thing I can't figure out: How do I get my Chrome extension on my new machine to recognize the new family account? Is there a different extension?

• Jacob
    Options

@nghafouri Awesome! We don't actually have a browser extension for Windows with support for Families — yet. We're working hard on it, but in the meantime I'd recommend clicking the Browser button when an item is selected to open and fill it in 1Password's built-in browser. Give it a try and let us know if you have any questions. :)

• nghafouri
    nghafouri
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob Do you have a browser extension for families yet for Windows?

Also, I noticed that I can't access my credit cards that I stored in the old version in my new family account. Help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nghafouri: Sorry for the inconvenience! The 1Password for Windows version 6 beta has basic browser integration for Login filling currently, but it does not yet have Identity or Credit Card filling. We'll be adding those in a future update though. You can install there extensions from our site:

1Password browser extensions

These are the same ones we use with the other desktop apps, and as 1Password 6 matures, you won't have to do anything but update to get the improvements. Cheers! :)

• nghafouri
    nghafouri
    Community Member
    Options

I've downloaded the extension, but how do I get the information from my Families vault on to it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nghafouri: 1Password 6 doesn't yet have a fancy menu system like the other desktop apps. We're working on it, but in the mean time it will offer you logins for the site you're on. It may be easier to click the URL for the login you want to use in the 1Password app. And then once it loads you can use the 1Password button in your browser or press Ctrl \ to fill it. I hope this helps! :)

• nghafouri
    nghafouri
    Community Member
    Options

I can't get past the log in screen on the extension. When I click that I've used 1Password before, it wants me to pick a vault. When I click on the 1Password backup that pops up, it says it's invalid.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nghafouri: The 1Password 6 beta cannot load backup files, and you won't be able to do this from the extension. You'll need to open the main 1Password app and select your actual local vault, which will end with .agilekeychain or .opvault. 1Password 6 can read that, and then you can copy the data from the old local vault to one in your 1Password Account:

Migrate to 1Password Account

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out!

This discussion has been closed.