copy password button of password field stoped working

reschifl
reschifl
Community Member

Hello,
copyig a password into the clipboard by using the button right to the password field isn't working anymore.
If I try to fill in the value somewhere I always get the previous content of the clipboard.
My workaround is now to switch to the edit mode and do a cmd+c copy.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @reschifl,

That sounds like a really annoying problem! I would like to know a few more details to have a better idea of what's going on here. Does it happen on the browser extension, on the main app or on both? Do you have this problem with other format of entries, for example usernames? Does it happen even when you try to paste it right away? While we figure those things out, you can always check if you can update 1Password, often that helps!

I hope to hear from you soon so we can go from there and fix this issue :chuffed:

• reschifl
    reschifl
    Community Member

Hello @Pilar

thank you for the quick response.

This behavior happens on the main app and also on the browser extensions (tested with latest Chrome and Firefox).
    It also behaves like this, if I'm trying to copy the username field value.

And it happens within the usual work flow:

• search an entry
    • press the copy button
    • directly try paste it to the place, where I need it
      Mostly it's a password field, which does not show the contents, so then the authentication fails.

Most of my entries are of type LOGIN, but the same happens with PASSWORD entries.

I think I'm running the latest version: "Check for updated" tells me so.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @reschifl,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details. I’ve tried to reproduce this on my end but I haven’t had any luck. Obviously, if there’s a bug here, we’re happy to investigate further and get to the bottom of things, but I’m curious: is there a reason that you’re manually copying passwords instead of using 1Password’s automatic filling?

Here’s my usual workflow for filling Login information on a sign in page: if the sign in page is already visible, I simply use ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) to fill. If I want to use 1Password to open the page in addition to filling:

• Use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open 1Password mini.
    • Start typing the title of the item I wish to use (search field is active when mini is opened.)
    • Once the correct item is highlighted, I simply hit ‘Enter’.
    • 1Password opens the page and fills my details, all in one shot.
  • reschifl
    reschifl
    Community Member

Hello @Megan,

the reason, why I have to manually copy passwords, is that I need to login into some legacy command line based tools.
    There is no auto fill. But I store these kind of passwords also in 1password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @reschifl! Yes, in that situation you'll need to use copy & paste. So let's see if we can get that to start working again:

The first thing I'd like you to try is to restart 1Password mini. To do that, open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. You'll need to unlock it again with your master password. After you do that, are you able to click on a password (or other) field to copy it?

If it's still a problem, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, open 1Password and try again to click on a password to copy it. Does that make any difference?

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• reschifl
    reschifl
    Community Member

Hello @Drew_AG,

restarting 1Password mini solved the problem. Now the copy button correctly fills the clipboard with the new content.

Thank you very much! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm really glad that took care of the problem with the copy button, thanks for following up to let us know it worked.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you run into more problems, have more questions, or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.