1Password.. what a disappointment

profoundcursor
profoundcursor
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

So as a solo user.. you really have a great product.. I won't be cancelling my personal account anytime soon.

Sadly, like an ancient chorus of threads I've dredged from here, using effectively for shared machines is still an impossibility. Teams failed our purpose there, but my interest piqued when I heard of Families, and thought surely now this snag will be resolved and we'll be able to get behind this as a business. Alas, it's effectively the same over again.

To accurately describe the missing feature we (and many) have decried: you cannot use 1password as a login hub on a shared machine, where anyone can use the one magic box as their entry point. This absence is poorly miscommunicated throughout your marketing. Hence, we keep returning, tooling around, and quitting.

I can fathom from the histories here, that you chose another path because of security concerns. A real pity. How would we imagine it working? Dropbox syncs everybody's vaults in the same folder. The admin console does not allow overlapping passwords. Everybody uses the usual password master box and it opens the vault that matches the entered password. Better still, there can be accounts that can access more than one vault, or "see all" manager privileges.

Isn't this how Version 5 worked? With the only exception that you choose your vault in the password box. Otherwise it's an everybody solution.. but obviously we can't opt into a product which may not be supported.

I don't need to hear the "you can get what you want with separate user profiles for everybody", as that is not, what we want. Or "you can do all that in the browser version no the app" again no. Sorry for the raging tone, just frustrated to have wasted another morning playing with Families hoping it was the godsend, and it being the same story. Is it not a essential feature for families to be able to share machines.. I would have thought the architecture would have been constructed around this idea of effortless crossover, not a family of remote individuals?

We, and others here, are a business who largely work privately, but in key circumstances need to share machines on-the-fly. Without instantaneous vault-switching it's a no buy for us.. and price is no object.

Thanks All

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @profoundcursor,

I wish I had a better answer for you here. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and explain to us how your team uses 1Password, and I will be happy to pass your feedback along to our development team.

This absence is poorly miscommunicated throughout your marketing.

We certainly don’t want to give a false impression in our marketing! Could you tell us a bit more about what you read that implied that this sort of functionality would be available?

• profoundcursor
    profoundcursor
    Community Member

Hi Megan, thanks for the reply. To answer your question.. stuff like this:

"Keeping it personal.
    Not everything needs to be shared with the whole family. Personal vaults let everyone keep their own private passwords and documents, all managed under a single subscription."

From the Families site. That gives me the impression that multiple vaults can be used from a family machine easily. But a lot of it is so loosely worded that you only really know what features you're getting by trying it out. Then.. disappointment.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @profoundcursor,

Thanks for clarifying that! I’ll pass your feedback along to our marketing team to see if there’s anything that we can do to clear that up.

This discussion has been closed.