Forcing Teams vault sync?

Options
dadiv
dadiv
Community Member

I have been sharing passwords in shared vaults in Teams, and it seems to take quite some time before they show up. I'm not sure if there's a procedure I can go through to expedite the process, but here's what usually happens:

1. I create a new login in a shared Teams vault, using 1Password Chrome browser extension or 1Password Mac App
  2. I tell my coworker it's there
  3. She looks and doesn't find it
  4. I go over and check, and scratch my heead
  5. I try quitting 1Password and starting it again
  6. I suggest she does the same, but it's still not showing up
  7. Time passes
  8. Eventually, it shows up

This time, I decided to write a support request because we love 1Password and I am guessing this is a problem that may already have been solved!

I'm on latest beta, my coworker is on the latest release version.

1Password Version: 630021
Extension Version: 4.5.6.7
OS Version: OS X El Capitan Latest
Sync Type: Teams Vault
Referrer: kb-search:Syncing in team vaults, kb:teams-faq, kb:sync-options

Comments

• chadseld
    Options

Have you tried locking and then unlocking 1Password? That should trigger sync if nothing else does.

• dadiv
    dadiv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi chadseld,

I haven't tried that. I'll try that next. I would think quitting and reloading the app would have done this, as well?

Thanks!

• Jacob
    Options

@dadiv That depends. Quitting the main 1Password app doesn't quit the actual one. The magic of 1Password happens in the "mini", which runs in the background and is displayed in your menu bar. When you quit the main app, mini is still chugging along as usual until you quit it as well. I'd recommend just a lock and unlock here. Let us know what happens. :+1:

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi folks,

During testing of Teams I've been having a problem with syncing and it sounds like this is the reason why. I setup a user to never lock after his initial login. So do I have to force the user to re-enter his password regularly (or accept it won't sync) ? Is there no other option here ?

Thanks...

• Jacob
    Options

@nudge Changes to the data should be showing up across your devices automatically. What kind of stuff are you not seeing on that computer that you see on others?

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member
    Options

We've started using the admin interface to create, modify and delete items for other team members. We've setup a shared vault for each member and avoid using personal vaults. We're looking after some executive types who previously used the same insecure password everywhere because they were incapable of remembering them otherwise. We are converting them to 1password Teams and take over the administration of their userids, passwords, etc for them via the Teams admin interface except changes were not showing up on their Macs. Reading this thread I learned why that was, we weren't locking them unless they rebooted or logged out of their Macs (which isn't so often). In some cases we use MacID as well. This allows us to lock their machines when they move away from them and unlock them using touchid on their iPhone when they come back.[1] Basically they can have better passwords without having to enter them very often.

If we can't sync them though we have to rethink this setup which is why I'm asking if there's any other way of forcing a sync. Maybe it's possible to use a launchd agent for example.

Thanks !
    :nudge>

[1]: it's rumoured that Apple will have this functionality soon but even if they do, I think it will take a while before they'll match what MacID offers.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nudge like Penderworth said, changes made from 1Password.com should automatically sync to 1Password for Mac. I tested this myself in both my Personal and Shared vaults and saw changes in almost-real time reflected both ways. Can you offer a little more guidance about whether they're using the latest versions of 1Password for Mac, what specifically is failing to sync (new logins, edited logins, etc.), and whether or not the problem persists even after you quit out of 1Password and 1Password mini on their devices? We'll get to the bottom of this 8-)

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @nmott, thanks and sorry for my late reply, I only just saw yours...

Everyone in the Team is and was using the latest version on OSX and iOS. Logins and secure notes (all I tested) weren't syncing when the users were setup to never re-enter their 1Password password after their initial login. When I heard that this was the cause for the lack of syncing I changed it to require them to re-enter their 1Password password after an idle period. Since then all seems to be working ok but I would prefer the option of my initial setup if that becomes possible with syncing working too.

I never tried quitting and restarting the apps as that wasn't going to solve the problem and I'm reluctant to return to the malfunctioning setup just to test this since it's not really relevant (the users aren't going to accept doing that to get up to date data from their vaults).

Thanks, I hope that clears up your questions and helps you find a better solution.

• Jacob
    Options

@nudge That's really interesting. I would love to get a bit more info about your setup so we can look into what's happening there. :) Could you please create a Diagnostics Report from each of your devices? This knowledge base article explains how: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.