Rich Icon outlines, question about "show n more items"

joe_symons
joe_symons
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Most login icons have either a generic "looks like a keyhole" grey rounded corner square shape or a web-supplied (example youtube) icon. A few of my login icons have simply a white outline of the rounded corner square. When I use the browser 1password feature, only the entries that have an actual icon (and not an empty one) appear; others with the missing icon appear if I click on the greyed-out line that says "show 3 more items" . I cannot figure out how to transform a login entry missing an icon to one with an icon to avoid having to search for my login credentials. I tried entering a new login but the agilebits "keyhole looking" icon would not appear on the new entry. Advice?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os x 10.11.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:why does the icon for a login not appear next to a login entry?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joe_symons,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with rich icons for some Logins, and with some of your Logins being hidden behind "show n more items" in 1Password mini!

The icons for your Login items have nothing to do with the order those Logins are shown in 1Password mini / browser extension, so I suspect that's just a coincidence. But we'll be happy to help figure out both problems! Let's start with those icons:

Rich Icons are downloaded from our image server and not directly from the websites themselves. If our image server doesn't have an icon for the website from your Login item, it should show the generic keyhole icon instead. It's very strange that some of your Logins have just the outline of an icon and nothing else. As a test, can you please try this:

• Open the main 1Password app (unlock with your master password if prompted).
    • Go to the View menu and un-check the 'Show Rich Icons' option (all rich icons should change to the generic keyhole icon).
    • Find one of the Login items that had the outline/empty icon - does it show the generic keyhole icon, or does it still have an outline/empty icon?

Let us know how it goes with the icons, and we'll continue from there.

Now, as far as the order of Logins in 1Password mini: My guess is that the URL in the Login item you want to use has a different subdomain than the site you're currently viewing. When you open 1Password mini, it will first suggest Login items with the same domain and the same subdomain as the website you're viewing. Login items with the same domain but a different subdomain will be shown under the 'Show n more items' option.

For example, if you go to https://calendar.google.com, 1Password mini will first show you Login items that have https://calendar.google.com in their first website field. Login items with a different Google subdomain such as https://accounts.google.com or https://plus.google.com will be hidden behind 'Show n more items'. If you compare the website fields of the Logins to the website you're viewing, does that seem to be what's happening?

If so, there's a setting to change this behavior. In the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar and select the Browsers tab. Click the box next to 'Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites' to enable it (you should see a checkmark in the box once it is enabled). Now go back to the website and open 1Password mini again. This time, it will show matches based only on the domain and ignore the subdomain. (Favorites will be listed at the top, and the rest will be in alphabetical order by title.)

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• joe_symons
    joe_symons
    Community Member

You are a Mensch! A Magician! A Master! Fantastic. All is right in the 1Password world (if not in most other places). Thanks much!!! Joe

as to: Find one of the Login items that had the outline/empty icon - does it show the generic keyhole icon, or does it still have an outline/empty icon?

once I did this all icons that were blank are now filled in. Thanks!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad everything is working properly, Joe, and I think we can all agree that Drew is a magician :crazy:

This discussion has been closed.