Can we define the default terminal app?

victor_khalaf
victor_khalaf
Community Member

The article https://support.1password.com/ssh-logins/ is super helpful but only applies to Terminal app launching. Do you know how to or can it be added as a feature to choose the terminal application of choice? I use iTerm myself.

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:ssh-logins

Comments

• Hi @victor_khalaf ,

This works because Terminal is the default handler for the ssh: URL scheme. If you set iTerm as the handler for ssh: it should launch iTerm instead. I've found these instructions on how to do that: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/28938/set-iterm2-as-the-ssh-url-handler

Cheers,
    Kevin

• victor_khalaf
    victor_khalaf
    Community Member

Alas the solution doesn't apply permanently.
    As soon as I click on an ssh URL it relaunches Terminal and iTerm's default is reset. Seems like the comments in that post are also echoing that issue.

• Hi @victor_khalaf,

I was seemingly able to get it to stick using RCDefaultApp, which is a utility that i've probably used since its original release.

I'm hoping you'll see similar results on your end.

Let us know either way!

Rudy

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016

@victor_khalaf / @rudy

iTerm is the proper place to configure its various URL protocols:

• victor_khalaf
    victor_khalaf
    Community Member

@rudy this worked perfectly! Thank you! :)

@MrC that's what I had attempted first with @ag_kevin 's suggestion. As I confirmed with my reply, it doesn't work.

• @victor_khalaf,

I'm glad to hear it, have a great weekend!

Rudy

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@victor_khalaf ,

It works fine for me here. You need to be sure that you've configured the setting in the Profile you use as the default.

I'm using the Nightly build of iTerm2, so there may be a bug that's since been fixed in your version.

• victor_khalaf
    victor_khalaf
    Community Member

Yup I did do that. Maybe I had to restart iTerm2. I have the latest non nightly version. It was the default profile being used.

I noticed after running RCDefaultApp that I could see iTerm2 registering the SSH URL scheme permanently (checkbox was persistent in the drop down menu).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Glad that RCDefaultApp did the trick. That app has been a lifesaver on a number of occasions when I ran into strange problems with protocol handlers or file extensions. :)

• victor_khalaf
    victor_khalaf
    Community Member

Would it be worth adding a reference to that app or in general mentioning that the SSH link can be opened in other terminal apps but needs to be configured externally?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I think that would be out of scope for 1Password documentation since it is more of an OS X system issue, but I'll run it past the other docs folks.

• victor_khalaf
    victor_khalaf
    Community Member

Thanks! I make up that those who use SSH are probably power users so it wouldn't feel out of place in a document targeting such users. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.