Deleting Duplicates

KPanahy
KPanahy
Community Member

I suddenly have 2 instances of all logins on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. How do I get rid of one of the duplication? Thanks

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:I have 2 instances of all logins on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. How do I get rid of the duplicates?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KPanahy,

I'm sorry you suddenly see duplicates of all your items in 1Password! That shouldn't normally happen, and I'm curious why it did. The best way to get rid of those duplicates is going to depend mostly on why you're seeing them in the first place. Can you tell us a bit more about what happened before the duplicates appeared?

For example, did you need to re-enable Wi-Fi sync between your devices, or did you move/copy items between different vaults, or did you use the export/import options in 1Password on your Mac, or have you recently made any other significant changes to your 1Password setup?

Do you currently have multiple vaults in 1Password? If you open 1Password on your Mac and look in the top left corner of the app window, do you see a vault name (such as Primary, Personal, All Vaults, etc) under the red/yellow/green buttons? If so, and if All Vaults is selected, click on that and choose your Primary vault. Does that vault show just one copy of each item? If so, it sounds like you somehow ended up creating a secondary vault that has copies of all the items from your Primary vault (the solution is likely as easy as deleting the secondary vault).

On the other hand, if you have only 1 vault on each device, and that vault has duplicates of each item, you would either need to go through and delete the duplicates manually (not much fun if you have a lot of items), or you can restore from a recent backup (much easier). To restore from a backup, open 1Password on your Mac and go to File > Restore. Select the most recent backup that doesn't have the duplicates and click the Restore button.

Please let us know what you find and/or what happened leading up to the duplicates, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• KPanahy
    KPanahy
    Community Member

This had happened once before, and I manually deleted the duplicates on my Mac but they remained on my iPhone and iPad. I don't think I did anything beforehand to cause the duplications. Today, I tried a Wi-Fi synch at home to update some of my passwords, and the problem returned on my Mac and continues on my mobile devices. I only have one vault. I would hate to manually delete the duplicates on 3 devices and then have the problem re-occur. Any advice as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KPanahy,

Thanks for the additional information about the problem. If I understand, you're saying you deleted the duplicates from your Mac, but the next time you synced with your iOS devices, the duplicates reappeared? That's very strange because the changes you made on your Mac should have synced to your iPhone and iPad.

I would hate to manually delete the duplicates on 3 devices and then have the problem re-occur.

As I mentioned in my last response, you can try restoring 1Password for Mac from a backup (assuming there's a recent backup without any duplicates). Have you tried that? If so, what happened when you set up Wi-Fi sync again and synced with your iOS devices?

This discussion has been closed.