master password won't sync

xli
xli
Community Member

about one hour ago, May 19 2016, I encountered an "mac-reset-master-password-wont-sync-to-other-platforms" issue similar to the issue in a thread posted on Nov 2013.
The link is “https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/18500/change-master-password-doesnt-sync”. And AgileBits Team Member replied saying “our developers are working on getting this working more smoothly soon!”.
and the thread is closed, otherwise I would reply to that thread …

So my question is what kind of bug took u more than two and a half years to solve. And I'm looking for a solution

(newest version of one password apps on all platforms, newest ios and mac os version)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:master password

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xli,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems with 1Password! I’d like to hear a little bit more about exactly what you’re seeing so we can provide a personalized solution for you.

Master Password changes are a bit different than normal updates to your vault, but the issue that was discussed in that thread is not relevant any more. If you’d like to learn more about how your Master Password is synced in 1Password, check out this DevBits blog post by our developer that explains the whole process. The short answer though is that it’s not unexpected to have to unlock your device with the old Master Password before 1Password will recognize the new one.

Once you let us know in a bit more detail what you are seeing, we’ll be better able to advise you.

• xli
    xli
    Community Member

Hi, @Megan

1, thx for ur reply. I've read it, and now I totally get how it works, and I confirmed it worked out exactly like what the blog post suggested:
    (1) i updated the master passsword on one device(Mac) , the old master password still works on another device(iPhone)
    (2) then I used my new master password on iPhone, it worked too.
    (3) then I quit 1Password in iPhone and launch it again, the old master password won't work anymore, only the new password works, meaning that it's the action of using new master password that did the real "sync" job for devices.
    And now, i totally understand it's a consequence of the security concern, and u guys have made great effort on that, I apprecaite it.

2, but I think the issue was that, I couldn't find clear indication or instruction that tell me it should work this way. And that's why it freaked me out when I saw the old password still works. To be honest the full explanation @Megan gave is full detailed but maybe a little complicate for people who's not so familiar with tech terms and mechanisms(personal opinion).

3, for people who's confused by the master password syncing problem. the previous (1)(2)(3) might be the simple explanation for u. but please do check the full detailed blog post.

4, this is still theoretically vulnerable in an extreme case where: I've lost access to a device(like a phone) which is still using old master password, and changing master password on another device won't save this situataion. I know phone itself has password or fingerprint lock, but i'm just saying...

thx again for the info @Megan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xli,

On behalf of Megan, you're very welcome! I'm glad that helped you solve the problem and that the new master password is working now on your iPhone.

Thank you for the feedback about not being able to find clear instructions about that. Hopefully we'll be able to make this all easier & clearer in the future!

4, this is still theoretically vulnerable in an extreme case where: I've lost access to a device(like a phone) which is still using old master password, and changing master password on another device won't save this situataion.

If your iOS device or Mac is lost or stolen, you can erase the whole thing remotely if you had enabled 'Find My iPhone' or 'Find my Mac' beforehand. You can find more information about that on Apple's support site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2701

Alternately, you can remotely activate Lost Mode on the device, which locks the device with a passcode and still allows you to track its location. Here's an Apple support article about that: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2700

We have these suggestions as well as other tips about what to do if your device is lost or stolen in this knowledgebase article: My device was stolen. Is my 1Password data safe?

I hope that helps, but if you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• xli
    xli
    Community Member

@Drew_AG thank you, those links are definitely helpful!

And yeah, i was totally imagining a extreme case that is not likely to happen haha, I mean, nobody can track the phone and do further protection actions if someone put get my phone and put it in a Faraday Cage, right? So I guess the last and best solution is always changing all the critical passwords. I hope that doesn't need to happen:)

Thx

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

It's always good to plan ahead for these sorts of things, even if it's for a situation that isn't likely to happen (but still possible). I'm glad you're thinking about the safety of your data!

We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.