Having Problem Connecting 1password Keychain to New Mac

outtacontext
outtacontext
Community Member

I've just gotten a new Macbook. I am trying to install 1password on it. But am having a problem connecting the keychain, which is located in Dropbox to my 1password application. Whenever I try it tells me it can't access the keychain.

Now, because it's a brand new Mac and my Dropbox is still synching, I thought (after reading some of the issues on this forum) I should wait until it completely synchs with the new Mac. So far, it hasn't finished doing that. But I did see that it had synched with the keychain already.

Any help or insights you could provide would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Having problem connecting keychain

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @outtacontext,

You’re right, it is a good idea to ensure that Dropbox has fully synced before trying to access the keychain with 1Password.

Could you tell me what the full error text of that message is? Do you use 1Password on any other computers and devices at this time? If so, are you able to access your 1Password data there?

Once we have a better idea of your setup there, we’ll be able to give you instructions on how to get all synced up. :)

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

The message says: Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile.

I'm having no problem on my other two Macs accessing the same keychain. And, no problem on my iPhone.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @outtacontext! That error message usually means Dropbox has not yet fully downloaded the entire sync file to the local Dropbox folder. I suspect that's the problem, since you said Dropbox hasn't finished syncing all your files to your new Mac yet.

However, you said "it had synched with the keychain already" so it's probably a good idea to double-check that. Please open the local Dropbox folder on your new Mac and find the 1Password sync file. Does it have a green circle with a check-mark, or a blue circle with arrows?

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

Yes, the keychain file dot is green. That's how I knew it had synched.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @outtacontext,

Thanks for double-checking that! I'm assuming you've tried again to set up 1Password on your new MacBook by choosing that file since confirming it was fully downloaded to the local Dropbox folder, but if not, please try again to make sure whether or not you still get the error.

If you still get that error, you can try resetting your sync data in Dropbox from one of your other Macs:

On one of your other Macs (either one is fine):

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    • Click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Change the sync from None back to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new sync file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync/upload the new sync file.

Your other devices should each stop syncing when they realize the original sync file was removed from Dropbox, and will give you an error message about that on each one (which is expected). You'll need to re-enable Dropbox sync on the other Mac where it was previously working, and also on your iPhone. When choosing the new sync file, you may be asked to merge your data, which is fine. (If you need any help to re-enable Dropbox sync on Mac or iOS, please let us know and we'll be happy to give more detailed steps to do that.)

Assuming it all goes well on your older Macs and your iPhone, you can try again to set up 1Password on the new MacBook (just make sure the new sync file has completely downloaded first). Is there any difference this time? Let us know how it all goes and if you have questions about any of that. Thanks! :)

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

Success. After a full sync with Dropbox on my new Mac, it still didn't work. So, I started to follow your directions to reset sync data. I got to set sync to None. But I didn't click the box to delete data from Dropbox. So, I tried to go back and start again and do that. But on my old computer I waiting for the new sync to finish (12 seconds) and before going any further, I tried syncing my new Mac and, wonderfully it worked without having to delete the data.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Huzzah! I'm glad things are working well. Thanks for taking the time to let us know, @outtacontext. I know Drew and Megan will be happy to hear that. :)

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.