How do I get ALL the data out of LastPass and into 1Password? (And, how to get ALL data out of 1P?)

Options
prcbrent
prcbrent
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Hi,

I followed the posted directions for export from LP* and import into 1P*. Sites from LP that had more than simple username and password fields did not transfer over completely. These are sites that have additional fields such as account number, etc. and I have a good number of these sites. They were either saved automatically by LP or saved by using the LP browser plugin feature: "save all entered data". Apparently, this info isn't even included in 1P's recommended LP csv export.

How do I get this additional data out of LP and into 1P?

Also, it looks like the basic export from 1P also doesn't include this info (Export all fields to tab delimited.txt file). How would I get this same mission-critical data out of 1P?

Thanks.

*LP=LastPass, 1P=1Password, in the unlikely event that this isn't obvious!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/add-custom-fields, ug:mac/saving-a-login, ug:mac/add-custom-fields, kb-search:save a login manually, kb:import-lastpass

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @prcbrent ,

Recent version of 1Password reworked the LastPass importer, and it should work better for most users. I'm sure someone from AgileBits will come along and ask more questions about your issue.

Which version of LastPass are you using?

Did the LastPass export file include the additional data you are referring to? If Lastpass does not export the data, there's nothing 1Password can do to retrieve it. So you'll have to copy / paste.

To get all data out of 1Password, use the 1PIF export format. Its a non-encrypted plain-text JSON format of all your data.

• prcbrent
    prcbrent
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

MrC wrote:
    "Did the LastPass export file include the additional data you are referring to? If Lastpass does not export the data, there's nothing 1Password can do to retrieve it. So you'll have to copy / paste."

As I mentioned in my original post, "this info isn't even included in 1P's recommended LP csv export."

I was following the directions from 1P which didn't work as expected. I was hoping that 1P, as the the experts with past experience related to this issue, would know of an alternative way to export from LP that WOULD include this info. 1P (Agile Bits) has a vested interest in making it as easy as possible to jump LP's ship and become a new 1P customer, so if what I need to do is possible, I'd think they'd have had the motivation to figure it out. (Or at least confirm they'd looked into it and didn't find a way to do a complete export.)

"To get all data out of 1Password, use the 1PIF export format. Its a non-encrypted plain-text JSON format of all your data."

That worked great, thanks for that MrC.

I have a lot of website credentials that have three fields like: 'account', 'username', and 'password' which would take some amount of tedious time to copy/paste into 1P. That enters into the calculus when deciding if I want to switch my family and myself over to 1P.

I created my original post thinking I was sending a message to support, not posting to a support/user forum -- do official support personnel eventually respond to posts here? (I'd guess, only intermittently if at all.) If not, IS there a way to send questions directly to support staff?

Thanks in advance!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @prcbrent ,

I had read your initial description, but thought it was best for me to be sure of the details.

Please try the lastpass converter in the converter suite. I think you'll have better results. I'd advise using the 1.09 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post.

LastPass doesn't provide alternate export formats (hence your word "recommended" confused me) - you get CSV (via the extension, sometimes), or you get an HTML page which contains CSV that users must Copy/Paste). They provide two different exports - standard Logins, etc. and a separate export for Form Fill Profiles, and the format is different in each.

You can look in the lastpass converter file in the converter suite, Converters/Lastpass.pm, and see the field format per record category. For most categories, this data is placed in the Notes section of the entry and each entry is of the form:

url, username, password, extra, name, grouping, fav

It is the "extra" column that contains the additional exported fields of the record.

It is unfortunate that many password managers do not export full data, or export the data in a robust, unambiguous format. But that's just the way it is.

This is the AgileBits help forum, and you did the right thing. AgileBits responds to every post, addressing the oldest posts first. I think they may reply to Import/Export types of questions with slightly lower priority since I've been addressing these issues for a few years now, and have had reasonable success getting users data into (or out of) 1Password).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prcbrent ,

I created my original post thinking I was sending a message to support, not posting to a support/user forum -- do official support personnel eventually respond to posts here? (I'd guess, only intermittently if at all.) If not, IS there a way to send questions directly to support staff?

I apologize for the delay in response here! We’ve been working hard to improve 1Password’s import capabilities, but it’s a challenge to cover all of the password managers and their different data formats. MrC has been an enormous help here with his data converters, and he can often work some serious magic to get even the most customized data into a format that 1Password can easily read.

I’m glad to see that he was able to help you out!

You’re right though, there’s no reason for us not to have responded here earlier. Our team is monitoring this forum 7 days a week, and we try to ensure that every thread has an official AgileBits reply. I’m sorry if our lack of response caused any frustration. In the future, if you have any other questions about 1Password, you’re welcome to post them here, or send us an email at support@agilebits.com.

This discussion has been closed.