Does Microsoft know how slow 1Password for Families runs in Edge when compared to Firefox and Chrome

DougWilson
DougWilson
Community Member

After I login using Edge it takes almost a minute to load the home screen and then when I click into a vault I have to wait again. I'm not sure how long because I've been getting up to go get more coffee when it happens.

I didn't think anything about it until today when I logged in using Firefox and the Home screen loaded almost instantly and my personal vault loaded in about 1 second.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:microsoft edge

Comments

• Hey @DougWilson! Let's look at the positive side: It gives you time to get more coffee. :lol: Okay now let's be serious. I wanted to see this happen for myself so I just tried and found it took slightly longer than in Safari on my Mac, but only about 6 seconds in total. Do you have another computer you can try things on, perhaps?

• roustem
    edited May 2016

@penderworth Edge is really slow, I can confirm that.

Chrome would be the fastest not only because of its JavaScript engine but also because it has native implementation of PBKDF2. Firefox, Safari and Edge are using JavaScript for that.

Here is the PBKDF2 time on my Mac:

• Chrome: 80ms
    • Firefox: 577ms
    • Safari: 720ms

I am not sure why I never thought about telling Microsoft. I am going to figure out how to submit a bug report about it.

Thank you, @DougWilson!

• I upgraded to Firefox 46 and it has native PBKDF2 implementation now. Takes only 125ms now.

• DougWilson
    DougWilson
    Community Member

Great! Thanks for pursuing this.

• You're welcome, Doug. :) Enjoy 1Password.com!

This discussion has been closed.