iCloud login popup - bug or virus?

Options
burns
burns
Community Member

even while writing this post. a new tab pops up every 30 seconds or so. The tab is asking for my iCloud password and log in... 1password log is on the page... also, the browser launches automatically to the same page.

this is making my computer really difficult to work on.

the problem has happened 4x since writing this post..

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @burns, are you using the Mac App Store version of 1Password or did you purchase it from the AgileBits store?

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @burns,

Here is the explanation of what is happening, followed by a solution.

When you set up sync to iCloud, you were asked to log in to iCloud with your AppleID. In return Apple provided 1Password with a "token" so it can continue to log in and sync your 1Password data without asking you to log in each time. These tokens do not have a definitive expiry date, but they can expire. Usually this happens when you change your password or security settings for your AppleID. However, this morning, I too got prompted for login, so it appears Apple has expired many (if not all) of these tokens.

Now, on to the reason for the multiple prompts. What should happen when the token expires is that you simply get prompted for your AppleID once and then it syncs again. Unfortunately, there is a bug where the token is not saved by 1Password after it expires and you get prompted. So every time 1Password tries to sync it prompts you again. This bug has been fixed in an upcoming update to 1Password so this should be the last time you see this. In the future, it will tell you why you are being prompted for your AppleID, and should prompt you only once.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this is causing, but we do have a solution for you. The instructions to do this are:

1. Open the 1Password application and go to Preferences and click on Sync.
    2. Select the Primary vault and set Sync to none. Do not check the box to remove data from iCloud when asked. You want to leave it there.
    3. Set Sync back to iCloud and it will ask you to log in with your Apple ID one more time. This should be the last time, until your login token expires at some point in the future.

Again, please accept our apologies and let us know if you need assistance with the above instructions.

Regards,
    Kevin

• burns
    burns
    Community Member
    Options

ok. i'll try it.. but I had an edit with a client this morning.. so i had to delete everything as a quick solution to the issue.... I hope this didn't delete the database?

• debstover
    debstover
    Community Member
    Options

Undoing Sync then re-setting it worked, but what a royal pain. Perhaps you should send out a broadcast message to all users to alert them to this issue. It was so annoying I was almost ready to uninstall the app so I could use my computer to work.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @burns,

...i had to delete everything as a quick solution to the issue.... I hope this didn't delete the database?

That really depends on what you deleted - can you elaborate on that? If you deleted the 1Password app (and nothing else), your data is safe because it's not stored within the app file (it's in another location on your Mac). The best way to tell is to reinstall the 1Password app and open it. Does it work like normal, or does it take you through a setup procedure as if it's the first time you ever used it?

If you deleted your 1Password data, do you still have those items in the Trash? Alternately, if you had been syncing with iCloud, you'll be able to sync it from iCloud back to the 1Password app on your Mac when you set it up again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @debstover,

I'm very sorry this was a problem for you! Glad to hear turning sync off and on again solved it. Fortunately (as Kevin mentioned) our developers have fixed this so you won't get repeated prompts the next time your login token expires.

If you need anything else, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member
    Options

This notification practically took over my Mac. Couldn't even use Safari to get here to ask about it without it popping up -- even with Safari closed! After installing the latest update to my 1P app (not bought on App Store) 1P said an iCloud session had timed out and I needed to log in to Apple to continue syncing. That detail of the reason for the insistent Safari pop-ups was not in original and persistent Safari windows. I thought it was probably legit, but had no way of knowing. It was, frankly, frightening.

All seems to work fine after logging in. Did not try the fixes listed.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WFA,

I apologize for the inconvenience! As Kevin explained earlier, you were asked to sign in again because Apple expired the login token that 1Password was using to sync with your iCloud account. But the reason it kept prompting you repeatedly was because of a bug in 1Password. We're very sorry about that! Luckily our developers have already fixed it, so the next time the login token expires, you'll only be prompted to sign in once.

All seems to work fine after logging in. Did not try the fixes listed.

Glad to hear it! If it's working now, you don't need to follow Kevin's steps.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your responsiveness. I understand that the reason for the required login will be included in any subsequent pop-up windows. Without that detail, I had no way to be sure it wasn't a phishing attack.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're absolutely right, the reason for that prompt hasn't been clear - but in the future you should see an explanation for why you need to sign in with your Apple ID. I'm so sorry that caused you to worry it was a phishing attack!

• deenfocal
    deenfocal
    Community Member
    Options

I have had the SAME problem today and it has cost me hours of productivity. I panicked and thought it was a virus and deleted my web browser and 1Password. As we speak it is constantly popping up on my newly downloaded browser. Very frustrating.

• jfnixon
    jfnixon
    Community Member
    Options

You're absolutely right, the reason for that prompt hasn't been clear - but in the future you should see an explanation for why you need to sign in with your Apple ID. I'm so sorry that caused you to worry it was a phishing attack!

I'm completely unclear how adding an explanation to the in-browser login request helps 1Password users to know the request isn't a phishing attack. Obviously anything agilebits can add to a webpage can be added by a phishing site. Even verifying the big green https status bar is not a completely secure way of knowing when some new behavior is legitimate. I'm not sure what agilebits can do because I haven't thought about it very much, but I hope y'all are thinking this through. I'd much rather see the app pop up and ask for the icloud login than some browser tab.

• paulg11306
    paulg11306
    Community Member
    Options

Happened to me as well. I believe it has to do with the update to OS X 10.11.5. I'm glad I found the solution above. So far so good.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulg11306, @jfnixon and @deenfocal,

I'm sorry about all the inconveniences caused by this issue! If any of you are still having some trouble or want a more detailed explanation of what's going on, why it's happening and how to fix you can find all the details on this post.

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you! :chuffed:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfnixon,

I'm completely unclear how adding an explanation to the in-browser login request helps 1Password users to know the request isn't a phishing attack.

Just to be clear, the explanation won't be a message on the website. It will be a small notification/window from the 1Password app. It will explain that your iCloud session expired and that you need to sign in with your Apple ID to continue syncing 1Password via iCloud. You'll need to click the 'OK' button to dismiss that message. Then the sign-in page will open in your browser.

I hope that clears up the confusion! :)

• louislesko
    louislesko
    Community Member
    Options

I did the fix suggested above yesterday, but the issue has popped up again today. Please help. I can't operate my computer like this.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@louislesko for some reason the tokens were told to expire again last night. We don't know why, and it's outside our control. Hopefully this was the last time it will happen, but if it's not, you could always sync with Dropbox instead. No more pesky pop-ups that way :tongue:

• louislesko
    louislesko
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @nmott - thanks for the tip. Sadly not a dropbox user. One thing I did neglect to do is yesterday update the 1Password software which I did today. That said, if I need to turn off iCloud syncing altogether where is my 1Password data file located on my Mac so I can back it up. Thanks!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@louislesko 1Password automatically backs up your data. You can stop syncing via iCloud whenever you like -- it shouldn't cause any problems. But like I said, hopefully you won't have to do that and continue syncing via iCloud without any headaches :lol:

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth:

On the subject of excuses it's been said, "Your enemies won't believe them, and your friends don't need them."

We are friends here; we just want it to work.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WFA Thank goodness we've been providing reasons instead of excuses! :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.