Logins open in Safari instead of Firefox

Options
plowedu
plowedu
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

When I use in Firefox the extension for 1Password and login to a website, it automatically switches to Safari instead of staying in Firefox

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Open in Firefox extension 1Password and log in to a website, there is an auto switch to Safari

Comments

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

When I use in Firefox the extension of 1Password (version 621002) and login to a website, there is an automatic switch to Safari instead of staying in Firefox. Same for Chrome.
    OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.5

1Password Version: version 621002
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Open in Firefox extension 1Password and log in to a website, there is an auto switch to Safari

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plowedu,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! I'm sorry you've been having trouble with the 1Password extension.

If you open the 1Password extension, find a Login item, view its details, then click on the URL (or "open and fill") from those item details, that will open the website in your Mac's default browser. Are those the steps you're taking, and is Safari set as the default browser on your Mac? If so, that explains why that's happening.

Instead of doing it that way, try this: Open the extension (from Firefox or Chrome), find a Login item, and click on that Login item. In other words, don't view the item details, just click on the Login from the list of items. That should open the site and/or fill your login credentials in the current browser.

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

If I do that, I get a message saying: The address isn't valid, while it is a perfectly good address and loads without problem from Safari. The address is: http://cammac.ca/montreal/wp-login.php

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

the caans.ca server is down at the moment.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plowedu,

the caans.ca server is down at the moment.

Are you able to test another Login item for a different site to make sure it opens as expected in Firefox or Chrome?

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

Other log-ins work fine

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

I can also login to http://cammac.ca/montreal/wp-login.php entering username and password not using 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plowedu,

Other log-ins work fine

Great! It sounds like you're able to use your Logins in Firefox and Chrome correctly now, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know.

I can also login to http://cammac.ca/montreal/wp-login.php entering username and password not using 1Password.

I'm not sure I understand - are you having trouble using 1Password to fill your username and password on that specific site? Or did you mean to say that's also working correctly now?

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

I am having trouble using 1Password to fill your username and password on that specific site in Firefox and Chrome, but I can log-in NOT using 1Password, which means that the URL is correct. So the message I am getting from 1Password when I log in: The address isn't valid is invalid! It is peculiar problem so I will just not use 1Password for that site. It is strange because I did not have the problem before.

Italic and Bold are not working as you can see.

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

Italic and Bold not working on my computer (iMac, El Capitan, version 10.11.5), but they did turn out fine once posted

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @plowedu, I think I understand what you mean now: You're able to use most Logins in Firefox or Chrome by following the steps I originally suggested, but one specific site gives you an error message when you do that (but you're able to sign in on that site by entering the username & password yourself).

If it works when you copy & paste your login credentials on that site (or type them manually), but not when you use the 1Password extension, please follow these steps to save a new Login for that site. Does the new Login item work correctly?

• plowedu
    plowedu
    Community Member
    Options

The new Login item works correctly now. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news! I'm glad that solved the problem, thanks for following up to confirm that.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.