1Password multiple copy instructions

Options
KenAlt
KenAlt
Community Member

I must leave my backup drive connected to take advantage of my Carbon Copy Cloner backup schedule; thus your directive that the backup drive must be disconnected to avoid conflicts with multiple copies of 1Password inhibits my using 1 Password and Carbon Copy Cloner together. So, how do I work around this conflict created by 1Password or do you now have a fix in 1Password for this shortcoming?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@KenAlt this knowledge base article covers the situation:

If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

Note the section about backup drives. The solution (if you wish to have the backup drive permanently connected) is to:

• delete any copy of the 1Password app file (only) from the backup drive; and
    • exclude the 1Password app file from any further backups (because, of course, you can always re-download it if you need to).

Provided you don't use any app cleaner tool when deleting the app file none of this will interfere with your 1Password data.

By the way, the "shortcoming" is one of OS X, rather than of 1Password. You can read the gory details in this AgileBits' post.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KenAlt: Indeed. And I'll add that this isn't an issue that will affect everyone. it's rather unpredictable, but also harmless except for being a nuisance. But we do want to inform users that keeping multiple copies could result in some trouble down the road if OS X happens to launch the wrong copy. It's not the end of the world, but I think we all prefer that that things go smoothly. :)

This discussion has been closed.