Deleted wrong 1P file. Where is 1password file?

Options
macgabe
macgabe
Community Member

I got prompted to update 1Password just now.
It said (as it always does these days) it found other copies which I should delete.
So i thought OK I'll finally try to delete and so get rid of these annoying messages.
So I go Application Support and delete a folder called 1Password 4, since I'm on 1Password 6.
There's also another 1Password folder there, so I figure that's the new one.
Admittedly I'm going above and beyond what had been asked of me.
1P asked me to delete just a file called 1Password4 (and another one on a backup vol) - I'm going the whole hog and deleting the whole folder.
Anyway a few warning messages later, bunch of stuff "in use", reboot new 1P and now it can't find my vault.
Finds one in Dropbox, so I say yes to that because I do sync one vault.
But it turns out that is not a good one. It doesn't have all my good stuff in it.
No problemo, I go to Time Machine and restore 1Password4 folder, reboot and back to normal again.
But why does 1Password6 need two folders in App Support one called 1Password and one called 1Password4, but it doesn't want the file called 1Password4.
None of this makes any sense to me.
What can I safely delete, rename? Where is my data?
At least the one in Dropbox is easy - it's just called 1password.agilekeychain

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @macgabe ,

1Password only needs the 1Password4 folder in Application Support - that contains your data and data backups that 1Password creates. You can safely throw out the one just called 1Password - it's for 1Password 3 and earlier.

The reason is has a 4 is because that's the last time the database format has undergone a major change.

I realize that can be confusing, but I hope I've been able to clear it up for you.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• macgabe
    macgabe
    Community Member
    Options

Okaay! Many thanks :-)

• macgabe
    macgabe
    Community Member
    Options

For interest, I went ahead and deleted the 1password folder - which in fact had some fairly recent backups in it (a few weeks ago), though not as recent as the 1Password4 folder (today, yesterday). My normal 1Password booted up fine after that.
    Emboldened I also deleted several things from inside the 1Password 4 folder. 4 folders with the 1Password 4 app in it zipped, 1 with it unzipped (I think that was what I had been asked to delete). Then another folder called Moustaches. Seems to work fine without this stuff.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @macgabe,

I'm glad things seem to be working correctly for you now!

I went ahead and deleted the 1password folder - which in fact had some fairly recent backups in it (a few weeks ago), though not as recent as the 1Password4 folder (today, yesterday).

It sounds like 1Password 3 (or a left over component) continued to make backups of the data from that older version even after you upgraded. Even though the backups might be recent, the information they contain would be old (from the last time you used version 3). Those backups from 1Password 3 are no longer needed as long as you have all your latest data in 1Password 6.

Emboldened I also deleted several things from inside the 1Password 4 folder. 4 folders with the 1Password 4 app in it zipped, 1 with it unzipped (I think that was what I had been asked to delete). Then another folder called Moustaches.

Although it seems to be working fine for you now, please note that normally, you should never delete anything from the Application Support/1Password 4/ folder. That folder contains your 1Password data and backup files, as well as other important files that are used by the 1Password app. Now, if 1Password displayed an error that said it found copies of the 1Password app file within the 1Password 4 folder, it's ok to delete only those specific app files from there (and please keep in mind that copies of the 1Password app should never have been put there in the first place). Any files not specifically mentioned by the error message should be left alone.

The "Mustaches-001" folder is created by 1Password and contains templates that are used for printing and sharing. It's an odd name, but actually refers to the type of files stored in that folder. Fortunately, deleting that folder shouldn't cause problems for you, and 1Password should recreate it if necessary. But it's best not to delete files or folders from the "1Password 4" folder in the first place.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you run into more problems with 1Password or have any questions, please let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• macgabe
    macgabe
    Community Member
    Options

Got it! Really appreciate the detailed response, as always.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.