Icloud session expired keeps asking me to sign in again.

Options

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rswar,

There have actually been a couple problems that have been happening. One of those was a bug in version 6.2.1 which caused the Apple ID sign-in page to open rapidly over and over again each time the token expired. That was fixed in version 6.3, which I see you're using. Therefore I'm assuming the problem you're running into is that you're being asked to sign into your Apple ID about once per day (possibly a bit more, although once a day seems about average). As far as we can tell, that's because Apple has been expiring that token about once per day over the past 5-ish days or so. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be something we can control, but our developers have contacted Apple about this in order to find out why that's happening and hopefully find a solution.

Yesterday we posted an announcement about this issue, which you can find here: Prompted to sign in to Apple ID for iCloud in the browser (URL: idmsa.apple.com)

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Hopefully this will be resolved in the near future, but in the meantime you may be asked to sign in each day to continue syncing with iCloud. If you have any questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

• fletom
    fletom
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having this problem ever since updating to 1Password 6.3 and it's unbearable. Every day when I open my computer I get popups asking me to authenticate with Apple. If I close the alert and the browser window and try to ignore it, it pops up again and again.

Even if this is somehow Apple's fault please give us a workaround for now, I'm begging you. This problem is distracting me from my work.

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @fletom ,

If you wish to continue to sync through iCloud, you need to log in when it asks until this gets fixed. The other alternative is to switch to Drobox for sync, or turn off sync until it gets fixed. We're truly sorry about this and it I understand how frustrating this is (it's happening to me as well). I can promise you we're working as fast as we can to get a proper solution in place.

Regards,
    Kevin

• rswar
    rswar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew_AG for your update! Much appreciated! (BTW...I'm a HUGE fan of 1Password and have been for years. Keep up the great work!)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the kind words @rswar! I'm glad to hear you're such a big fan of 1Password - we want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it! :) Hopefully this issue won't be around for too much longer, and you'll enjoy it just as much as (if not more than) before. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

May I suggest that the AgileBits developers configure a Mac with OS X release 10.11.4, configure iCloud sync on a vault, then update to 10.11.5 and Safari 9.1.1. Reproduction of the behavior should then be easy.

@ryanthered: I think this is true for most of us. Personally, I've been using iCloud in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for a long time -- months before we released 1Password 6 -- since it was important to test it thoroughly. And as you can imagine, I was previously running OS X 10.11.4 and updated recently. And while I definitely saw this behaviour with 6.2.1, after updating to 6.3 I only got the iCloud login prompt once per day (and it hasn't happened today or yesterday, as far as I can tell). If you're still having issues with multiple windows/tabs opening, be sure to update 1Password and restart your Mac, and let us know if the problem persists. We may need some diagnostic information.

• brighp
    brighp
    Community Member
    Options

Problem still unresolved. I'm not regularly prompted for my AppleID any more but I now have a constantly sync'ing 1Password on the Mac Book which has not cascaded new 1Password entries across to my iOS devices. I've stopped/restarted 1Password, rebooted, blocked all connections on the router save for the MacBook (so it gets unrestricted internet usage) and it continues to sync as witnessed by the spinning ring...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brighp: Can you show me what "spinning ring" you're talking about? That sounds like you're describing Apple's iCloud login page. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

If you're still having trouble with iCloud, be sure to disable sync completely and then re-enable it and login. Let me know how it turns out!

• brighp
    brighp
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry. Should have made it clear that I was looking at the 1Password app on the Mac. Preferences/Sync tab. See screenshot. Spinning ring on the far right... Still spinning...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brighp: Ah, thank you for clarifying! Please do the following:

1. Update 1Password to the latest version
    2. Open 1Password Preferences > Sync
    3. Disable iCloud for your Primary vault but DO NOT tell it to delete the data
    4. Re-enable iCloud syncing and login to your iCloud account

Please let me know if that helps. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• brighp
    brighp
    Community Member
    Options

Took a couple of goes but seems to be working now. New entries have sync'd to iOS. First time I tried your instructions I wasn't prompted to enter my AppleID but still tried to re-sync. So eventually I rebooted. Second time it prompted me after 20secs and sync'd in seconds. Faster than ever. (But then I didn't delete the previous data...) So far, so good.
    Ps. When entering the AppleID/password it leaves the input tab open in Safari with a spinning ring in the middle. Presume this is a side-effect of logging-in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Took a couple of goes but seems to be working now. New entries have sync'd to iOS. First time I tried your instructions I wasn't prompted to enter my AppleID but still tried to re-sync. So eventually I rebooted. Second time it prompted me after 20secs and sync'd in seconds. Faster than ever. (But then I didn't delete the previous data...) So far, so good.

@brighp: Please keep us updated! Hopefully that should do the trick for you, but we're here if you need us. :)

Ps. When entering the AppleID/password it leaves the input tab open in Safari with a spinning ring in the middle. Presume this is a side-effect of logging-in.

Yes, this is the result when you login. You'll know it worked because 1Password will popup a confirmation when it gets the token from iCloud. You can then close the webpage and you're all set.

I think that this is something that Apple may improve in the future. But right now I'm pretty sure 1Password is the only app using CloudKitJS, so they probably don't get a lot of feedback on it. :lol:

• rudy
    Options

Hi @brighp,

Great to hear that its working again.

You are correct, we don't have any control over what happens with the web page itself. Once you get the alert in 1Password saying that approval was received its safe to close the browser tab.

Rudy

• brighp
    brighp
    Community Member
    Options

It's all good now. Many thanks for your great support! Very few software companies are so fast to react!

• Thanks for the kind words! We'll be monitoring this for the next little while to make sure all is well.

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member
    Options

Do I have to check remember the password ? what is the effect?

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I should have added that it is happening to me (it seems like daily but I would not swear to that) and it is very annoying - I have 1password 6.8 and Sierra OS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do I have to check remember the password ? what is the effect?

@PatriciaW43: You don't have to, but if you do not check that box Apple will require you to login again every 8 hours or so.

I guess I should have added that it is happening to me (it seems like daily but I would not swear to that) and it is very annoying - I have 1password 6.8 and Sierra OS.

Indeed, Apple has changed their authentication tokens recently, and it sounds like you haven't been asking them to remember you. Definitely give that a try to see if it helps. :)

• waltgrayson
    waltgrayson
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

This is happening again in 1Password 6.8.1 for Mac. Asks me (and my wife) to re-authenticate almost every day.

Heh. Just saw ag_kevin's explanation here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/386400/#Comment_386400

Nevermind. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And of course I got this today myself as well and nearly forgot to check the "remember" box. That's a big help. Cheers! :)

• 5andwich
    5andwich
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Happening in November 2017, "solution" does not work

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rswar - sorry to hear you're having troubles just now, but for my sake (since this is a much older thread), can you restate in more detail what the specific problem you're having is, currently? Let us know what sync method you were using and what you're using now (if different) as well. Thanks in advance.

• rswar
    rswar
    Community Member
    Options

No current problem. I've been successfully syncing through iCloud for computer and my iOS devices. To sync to my wifes computer, which uses a different iCloud login, I use WiFi syncing for 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rswar - glad to hear it! Thanks for the update. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@5andwich - sorry to hear you're having troubles! Can you take some time to let me know what solution(s) you've tried, that haven't worked for you?

• akv
    akv
    Community Member
    Options

I am still having trouble with this! It keeps coming up everyday and its very irritating!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @akv! Have you made sure to check the box marked "Keep me signed in," as seen in the image on this page? If not, make sure you do that the next time you get asked to re-authenticate iCloud. Apple has changed the timeout duration for iCloud down to eight hours, which means unless you check that box, you'll get asked nearly every time you launch 1Password (or at least every day). Let us know how that works for you.

• akv
    akv
    Community Member
    Options

I opened up 1password app and it gave me that resign in .. so this time.. i hit ok and it went to the apple login on my browser which i logged in but this time I put my email and password in and i checked the box and hit sign in
    is that what you wanted me to to do?

• That sounds right, @akv.

Rick

• akv
    akv
    Community Member
    Options

I did that.. lets see if it fixs it! or should i unsync and than resync an delete the icloud backup and than sign in and check that to its always signs in!!

This discussion has been closed.