Moving items between families

MDBrown
MDBrown
Community Member

My son-in-law is a member of my 1Password family, and he has a second account for his own family. On the iOS app he can see both families (a personal vault in each family, all the vaults in his own family, and a vault shared between he and I). The view is grouped by Families accounts.

Today I saved a scanned copy of my 1Password Emergency Kit as a document item in our shared vault. He tried to move it to his personal vault, but the move failed. The error message only said "The item was not moved to the vault".

I've noticed in the past that I cannot move document items via the iOS app. It has to be done on the website. If this isn't by design, can you please take a look at correcting it? It only seems to be a problem with documents.

Also, in a situation like mine, with one person belonging to multiple Families accounts, is it possible to move items between Families? What are the limitations, if any?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

@MDBrown

Right now, there is a limitation on Documents... They cannot be moved between accounts. Just like what your asking for. I very much like you, ran into this wall a bit ago. When talking with the staff they acknowledged it was something slated for a future update. For me it cannot come quick enough. Documents is in its infancy at this point, I am sure they will get better with a little age. :blush:

It can be worked around using the desktop app. download the linked document locally and then upload it to the specified account. Thats how I moved mine.

Mac 1Password app.

Account A {Your vault containing the document}
    1. Preview item in the 1Password app.
    2. Show in Finder.
    3. Copy the item from the Finder window to the Desktop.
    4. Close the open Finder window.

Account B {You vault, subsection Documents}

• You can either attach the copy to an entry already in 1Password or simply just add it as a loose type document belonging to no specific entry.

1. Add the item.

Clean up:

1. Once the item is in 1Password, place the copy on the Desktop into the trash.
      2. Open the trash select the item and select delete immediately.

Best of luck.

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member

Thanks. Good to know it's on the list.

FYI, the workaround you describe can also be done right on your iPhone or iPad. Just download the file to any file manager app. Dropbox works, as does Readdle's Documents, or any PDF app. Then upload to the other account. No need for the desktop app. I use my iPad as my primary device, so I'm always looking for ways to work around the pc altogether.

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MDBrown: Thanks for sharing that workaround! I am totally not on your level when it comes to iOS productivity! :lol:

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, but we have to put security first here until we have a good solution. 1Password Families/Teams has separate encryption keys for each vault, user, and team/family, so it isn't possible to simply transfer data between accounts — it wouldn't be readable.

However, we've recently been working on improving moving items between separate vaults, and while crossing the barrier to another team/family is much more challenging, we're confident that we'll find a secure and convenient solution for that in time as well. Thanks so much for your feedback — and patience! :)

This discussion has been closed.