1Password is damaged and can't be opened

Evert2
Evert2
Community Member

Hey guys,

I'm getting the dreaded "1Password" is damaged can't be opened. Delete "1Password" and download it again from the App Store.
I would love to to this, but...

I originally purchased 1Password in (I believe) the German App Store. I've since then moved to Canada, and the app store does not let me redownload apps from other countries unless I change the country of my account.

Unfortunately, doing that requires either a german phone number on the O2 network, or a German card. I have neither.
Is there anything I can do? Also... what could have caused this sudden corruption? Should I be worried about an infection?

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Evert2,

I'm sorry to hear that the spooky "1Password is damaged" message has found you! The first thing that you should do is check this announcement and see if either of the two suggestions there helps, it would be the fastest fix.

If that doesn't do the trick, then probably the easiest way to sort this out is for you to move to the AgileBits store version of 1Password. To do this, please send us the proof of purchase of 1Password from the App Store to support+licenses@agilebits.com. Once you've heard back from us, follow this instructions to finish the process: https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/.

Please let us know how this turns out for you! :chuffed:

• Evert2
    Evert2
    Community Member

Hi Pilar,

Unfortunately your suggestion didn't fix it for me. I think the problem I have is not just the "1Password is damaged' issue, but it's compounded by the fact that I switched my country in the App store (and real life).

I sent a message to support+licenses though. Thanks for being more helpful than Apple! They basically told me that I need to repurchase.

Evert

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @Evert2,

I have multiple app store accounts in multiple countries. As long as you remember your original user name and password for Germany, you should be able to log into the German store. When you enter both correctly, you should see a message "This account is only valid in the German Store — switching to that store" (or something to that effect.)
    Hope this helps.
    Rob

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Evert2,

We have received your email and we'll continue the conversation over there. Meanwhile you could follow Rob's advice and see if you still have access to your previous App Store accounts to make all this process easier and faster! We'll continue the conversation over email :chuffed:

@rjh Thank's for the help you've been giving on the forum! :chuffed:

ref: BPV-68685-886

• Evert2
    Evert2
    Community Member

No, the issue is that I used the same account, but I'm not able to switch my account to a different country without having a credit card in that country.

• Evert2
    Evert2
    Community Member

But, all the suggestions are appreciated!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

Like Pilar said, we'll continue the conversation via email to see what we can do to help :chuffed:

• jfcochranii
    jfcochranii
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. Neither of the suggestions worked. I have my receipt from the iTunes store (an email). Can I send it to you to switch to the Agilebits version? If there's a fee involved I'd gladly pay, I JUST WANT TO BE SURE NOT TO LOSE DATA. Many THANKS!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jfcochranii,

Sorry to hear you're also getting an error message about the 1Password app being damaged! It sounds like you followed the steps here: Mac App Store: App damaged / prompted for Apple ID

If those steps don't help, you can delete the 1Password app and then reinstall it from the Mac App Store. Your data is stored separately from the 1Password app so you won't lose anything (just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools when deleting the 1Password.app file from Applications). As long as the only thing you delete is the 1Password.app file, your data will be safe and sound - once you reinstall 1Password from the Mac App Store, it will find that data.

On the other hand, you're certainly welcome to switch to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac if you'd like. If you download it from our download site, it should automatically activate itself when it sees that you've already had the Mac App Store version installed. It should also be able to find your data from the Mac App Store version and ask if you want to use that.

If you'd like to have your own license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password (which will be helpful if you need to install & activate it on other Macs), just send us an email with a copy or screenshot of the email receipt you received from Apple when you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store. Once we receive that, we'll be happy to create a license for you for the AgileBits Store version. You can send that email to: support+licenses@agilebits.com

We're here for you if you have more questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.